UI/UX suggestions for Addon Installer

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agryson

Re: Soft UI/UX suggestions for Macro Addon Installer

Post by agryson »

kkremitzki wrote:The 2/3rds, 1/3rds split looked a little extreme. I went with half and half for this redesign:
OK, looking great, in any case once we're loading real data we'll have a better idea.

Does that loader bar change color based on the theme automatically (dark/green, dark/blue etc.)
agryson

Post by agryson »

Just noticed the filter... excellent!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

agryson wrote:
kkremitzki wrote: Does that loader bar change color based on the theme automatically (dark/green, dark/blue etc.)
Hard to say--right now it's essentially little more than a mockup element. I think in the addon currently the "progress" bar (it really is just an activity one since it goes back and forth) matches my theme. So, I presume there will be some level of support for such behavior in this object or another.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
agryson

Post by agryson »

kkremitzki wrote:I presume there will be some level of support for such behavior in this object or another.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's baked in, but something to add to the checklist before upstreaming.

If it's just a spinner type bar, is there a way to remove the percentage value and maybe drop its visual weight by making it about 3 to 5 px high? (I'll be installing QT designer this week at home and can try myself if you don't have the time)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote:The 2/3rds, 1/3rds split looked a little extreme. I went with half and half for this redesign:
Nice!!!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
agryson

Post by agryson »

kkremitzki wrote:I just threw together a basic AddonManager.ui file based on the Execute Macro window.
I'm not seeing this on your branch, I see some widget talking about degrees or something. Is that work still local?

Edit: typos
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

agryson wrote:
kkremitzki wrote:I just threw together a basic AddonManager.ui file based on the Execute Macro window.
I'm not seeing this on your branch, I see some widget talking about degrees or something. Is that work still local?

Edit: typos
Yep, I only made the .ui file and spent the rest of the night reading up on Qt, especially the "signals and slots" mechanism they use to avoid the callback hell I'm more familiar with in the web app world. I'll post again when I have more progress on actually implementing that .ui file.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I re-did my implementation of the "add an item to the Tools menu" code to be a bit cleaner by adding an AddonManager module:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comp ... zki:addon2

I think this might be ready for upstreaming just to get some code out to people; it's a straightforward port of the Addons_installer macro to the UI. What do y'all think?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote:What do y'all think?
I get a build failure trying to copy a non-existent file from this
https://github.com/kkremitzki/FreeCAD/b ... xt#L16-L21
It can be deleted as you are not using a resource file.
Otherwise it seems to work well.
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

You placed the addon manager in an module folder, I had thought of simply adding it to src/Gui, but thinking better, then where would it be installed... So yeah your approach seems right. I didn't test yet, but looks OK to me