Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

A subforum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

abdullah
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby abdullah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 pm

One more abuse, if I may. I have one more tool, this just increases the degree of the bspline by one on each click, like this:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 33#p160133

Just if you can, I can ask a lot sometimes... :oops:
abdullah
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby abdullah » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 pm

agryson wrote:I've just submitted a pull request to your branch with the three icons shown below. I've built and tested. The toggle behaviour doesn't seem to work, was that on another branch?
spritesheet.png


The icons you have done are just awesome :o

At the end I have not implemented the toggle behaviour for now. There are three reasons:

a) in the sketcher we have quite an abstraction for adding commands, making the toggability not straight-forward.
b) As for now, I am concentrating my efforts on providing functionality over design (probably totally the wrong place to say this words) so that people can get going with B-Splines in FreeCAD, leaving design enhancements for later on.
c) It is quite obvious from the viewer whether the layers are set or not, so the user should not be confused (although I do understand that better UX/UI is indeed better).

With the increaseDegree functionality I am closing this deliverable (doing the pull request with this functionality, albeit may be improved), meaning that I should not need more icons for a while...

I appreciate your efforts :)
User avatar
agryson
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:30 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby agryson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:49 am

abdullah wrote:I have one more tool, this just increases the degree of the bspline by one on each click
No problem, added to my list. I could use degree with an add/minus symbol (even if you don't use minus for now, the icon can be ready for you)

abdullah wrote:a) in the sketcher we have quite an abstraction for adding commands, making the toggability not straight-forward.
b) As for now, I am concentrating my efforts on providing functionality over design (probably totally the wrong place to say this words) so that people can get going with B-Splines in FreeCAD, leaving design enhancements for later on.
c) It is quite obvious from the viewer whether the layers are set or not, so the user should not be confused (although I do understand that better UX/UI is indeed better).

No problem, my philosophy is that it's better to deliver something and iterate than to wait until you have it "perfect". Just as long as it's somewhere on someone's todo list. Keep delivering code! :)
User avatar
agryson
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:30 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby agryson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 am

There, you have a pull request with everything. I filled in the .qrc but I see there's a .qrc.depends...I didn't touch that but don't know if I was supposed to. Could you double check? It builds fine despite that.
abdullah
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby abdullah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:48 pm

agryson wrote:There, you have a pull request with everything. I filled in the .qrc but I see there's a .qrc.depends...I didn't touch that but don't know if I was supposed to. Could you double check? It builds fine despite that.


Thanks a lot Alex. They look really great. It is inspiring for me not to have those X (icon not found) around. I have the icons integrated in my local branch. Not yet in my GitHub branch. I have cherry picked them. The reason is that I am in the middle of a development with local commits that I want to squash with future commits. Cherry picking + rebasing allows me to put your commits before my already committed (locally) code and then continue with the code. Yes, I am complicated, I know, I have to live with myself :)

BTW, I already posted the bar here (I could not wait):
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p160246

Thanks again!!
abdullah

EDIT: You do not need to fill the .qrc file manually. There is an script in /Resources, just one dir up of icons, with a script UpdateResources (pick the bat or the sh depending on whether you are using Windows or Linux). It autofills it and it does it in the "right order" (simplifies watching differences between commits).
User avatar
agryson
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:30 am
Location: Paris, France
Contact:

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby agryson » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:15 pm

abdullah wrote:EDIT: You do not need to fill the .qrc file manually. There is an script in /Resources, just one dir up of icons, with a script UpdateResources (pick the bat or the sh depending on whether you are using Windows or Linux). It autofills it and it does it in the "right order" (simplifies watching differences between commits).
Wow, I've been doing it manually like some kind of neanderthal!

abdullah wrote:Cherry picking + rebasing allows me to put your commits before my already committed (locally) code and then continue with the code. Yes, I am complicated, I know, I have to live with myself :)
You can also reorder commits in an interactive rebase, no need to cherry pick, but hey, everyone has their workflow! Let me know if any other icons are needed.
abdullah
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby abdullah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 pm

agryson wrote:You can also reorder commits in an interactive rebase, no need to cherry pick, but hey, everyone has their workflow! Let me know if any other icons are needed.


Definitely! for low amount of commits I usually cherry-pick into my branch for another person branch (yes, this is just me being me). Within my branch I reorder of course using git rebase -i.

It is very nice to have an unlimited source of icons. I can really get used to this... expect me to abuse your offer in the future :D
abdullah
Posts: 1497
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby abdullah » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:00 pm

agryson wrote:There, you have a pull request with everything. I filled in the .qrc but I see there's a .qrc.depends...I didn't touch that but don't know if I was supposed to. Could you double check? It builds fine despite that.


It would be great if you could provide me with two additional icons. One for increasing a knot multiplicity and another one for decreasing a knot multiplicity. The increment/decrement is "by one unit" for each time the command is executed.

Increasing a knot multiplicity looks like this:

bspline_increase_knot_multiplicity_tool.png
bspline_increase_knot_multiplicity_tool.png (37.7 KiB) Viewed 98 times


Top is the original B-Spline. Bottom the result of increasing by 1 the multiplicity of the first knot (one click in the button) and by 2 the last knot (two clicks in the button).

The decreasing of multiplicity is still being implemented (I have an array of AIs working it out as we speak :lol: ), but I guess that because of the similarity you would best do both at the same time ;)

Thanks in advance!
DeepSOIC
Posts: 4443
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:45 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby DeepSOIC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 pm

some thoughts in direction for icons:
Attachments
knot-mult-icon-concept.png
knot-mult-icon-concept.png (20.98 KiB) Viewed 92 times
DeepSOIC
Posts: 4443
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:45 am
Location: Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Re: Sketcher icons (finally) aligned

Postby DeepSOIC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 pm

a different approach... instead of multiplicity, mention continuity.
Attachments
knot-mult-icon-concept-2.png
knot-mult-icon-concept-2.png (54.57 KiB) Viewed 90 times