[Solved] Request for collaboration: Creating a visual flow chart for reporting bugs

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[Solved] Request for collaboration: Creating a visual flow chart for reporting bugs

Post by Kunda1 »

Hi folks,

I started a rudimentary flow chart that I'm hoping may help improve the quality of bug reporting (especially for bug triagers).
It's a google drawing. I don't know any flow chart etiquette or techniques so I was hoping that with some help we could spruce this up and then post it somewhere prominent that people can quickly reference.
Any help is appreciated. Cheers!
draft-bug flowchart.png
draft-bug flowchart.png (83.95 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Edit: added screenshot
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Request for collaboration: Creating a visual flow chart for reporting bugs

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote:I started a rudimentary flow chart that I'm hoping may help improve the quality of bug reporting (especially for bug triagers).
It's a google drawing. I don't know any flow chart etiquette or techniques so I was hoping that with some help we could spruce this up and then post it somewhere prominent that people can quickly reference.
I use Visio at work for this, but it doesn't seem appropriate for FreeCAD. I'll checkout http://dia-installer.de/
Kunda1 wrote:Are you sure it's a bug?
I think this is where the process breaks down. An average user, let alone a new user doesn't have the knowledge to answer this question. Of course it's a bug, the program doesn't work as I expect, and it's of the highest priority because it's blocking my work. I think the user should post on the forum (new topic or responding to an existing topic) early in the process, prior to creating a ticket on the tracker. As an example I would use DeepSOIC and NormandC as examples. Two people that are most qualified to answer the question "Are you sure it's a bug?" and most likely to triage in the forum before creating a ticket.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

workflow.png
workflow.png (83.1 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The "Include: ... (bulleted list)" part is very busy compared to everything else, and it's probably a good idea to have each part (not sure what to call these... flowchart items?) as concise as possible (but no more! :D ) and in the same ballpark for length.

I think Normand was at one point considering moving that list to the wiki (which would have the benefit of translation and easy updating). That would also allow for a really nice abbreviation for that big list, something like:
Include everything listed at freecadweb.org/wiki/bug_reporting#requirements because we'll ask for it anyway
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I like the idea of having such chart. But i do feel your proposal @Kunda1 lacks a few days of work. I understand you are after more collaboration. But this feels like a project you can do yourself if you put some muscle into it. As for suggestions simplify it and style it a bit better.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote:I like the idea of having such chart. But i do feel your proposal @Kunda1 lacks a few days of work. I understand you are after more collaboration. But this feels like a project you can do yourself if you put some muscle into it. As for suggestions simplify it and style it a bit better.
honestly, charts are not my strong suite, this is why I posted to the UI/UX forum to get some advice. The Google Drawing is editable by everyone and can serve as a wireframe.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

dia seems like a candidate.
dia.PNG
dia.PNG (42.71 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
triplus wrote:a few days of work
I'll try to spend some time on this. If you guys can perfect the process I'll try to document it. 1st hour hasn't been the most productive, but this would be a good tool for me.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Integrating @sgrogan's advice
draft-bug flowchart.png
draft-bug flowchart.png (119.46 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote:Integrating @ sgrogan's advice
Thanks for reading and understanding my post. Trade "lazy" for "can't find it"?
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote:
Kunda1 wrote:Integrating @ sgrogan's advice
Thanks for reading and understanding my post. Trade "lazy" for "can't find it"?
Np :)
Here is a less busy version sans 'lazy'
draft-bug flowchart.png
draft-bug flowchart.png (105.28 KiB) Viewed 2867 times