Robot Workbench aligned to guidelines

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agryson

Robot Workbench aligned to guidelines

Post by agryson »

Here are the Robot workbench icons, aligned to guidelines.

Old on left, new on right on light, gray and dark backgrounds at 16, 24, 32 and 64 px.
spritesheet.png
spritesheet.png (477.7 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
I had to make a few "choices" here - the stark black robot was treated by using a darker highlight tone than I usually would - I kept 2 levels of gray to ensure contrast as per guidelines, but it's still on the dark side for my personal taste. Any more though and it started looking very different from the original.

Also, the sunburst on "create new" would typically be in the top-right corner, but I kept it top left because a) that's what the original does, b) there's a blank space there for it and c) the idea is still communicated.

Note: All the Robot icons were at 16px, not 64. I'm running a test build to make sure nothing was broken.
agryson

Re: Robot Workbench aligned to guidelines

Post by agryson »

Build finished, nothing broken, so unless there's any feedback in the next day or so, expect a pull request by this weekend.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Well, as before i find the new icons to be a little "pale" (i would like to have more contrast/sharpness (?)).

But i have to admit that i grew up with 2D CAD as black lines on white background (Vellum/Draftsight) or
yellow/green/grey lines on black background (ME 10 (now Creo direct) and AutoCAD).
But at least the different workbenches now look more uniform and that's definitely a good thing ...

So thanks for all your time and hard work invested here in the project.

I think i'll try looking into the stylesheets or choose another desktop theme (I'm on windows).

Have a nice day ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
agryson

Post by agryson »

r-frank wrote:Well, as before i find the new icons to be a little "pale" (i would like to have more contrast/sharpness (?))
I've tried to ensure a high contast with respect to multiple backgrounds, but there's still room to improve - are there any particular icons that cause any issues?