The home page of the website should be more welcoming

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mika38

The home page of the website should be more welcoming

Post by Mika38 »

Who is FreeCAD for? A couple of user cases:

The home user/hobbyist. Got yourself a project you want to build, have built, or 3D printed? Model it in FreeCAD. No previous CAD experience required. Our community will help you get the hang of it quickly!

The experienced CAD user. If you use commercial CAD or BIM modeling software at work, you will find similar tools and workflow among the many workbenches of FreeCAD.

The programmer. Almost all of FreeCAD's functionality is accessible to Python. You can easily extend FreeCAD's functionality, automatize it with scripts, build your own modules or even embed FreeCAD in your own application.

The educator. Teach your students a free software with no worry about license purchase. They can install the same version at home and continue using it after leaving school.
This is from the home page of the website, https://www.freecadweb.org/. Don't you find this statement a little bit restraining? If you are not a hobbyist, not an experienced CAD user, not a programmer, or not an educator: FreeCAD is not made for you? What about an architect? A designer? A corporate? A farmer? A human been?
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: The home page of the website should be more welcoming

Post by kkremitzki »

Mika38 wrote:
Who is FreeCAD for? A couple of user cases:

The home user/hobbyist. Got yourself a project you want to build, have built, or 3D printed? Model it in FreeCAD. No previous CAD experience required. Our community will help you get the hang of it quickly!

The experienced CAD user. If you use commercial CAD or BIM modeling software at work, you will find similar tools and workflow among the many workbenches of FreeCAD.

The programmer. Almost all of FreeCAD's functionality is accessible to Python. You can easily extend FreeCAD's functionality, automatize it with scripts, build your own modules or even embed FreeCAD in your own application.

The educator. Teach your students a free software with no worry about license purchase. They can install the same version at home and continue using it after leaving school.
This is from the home page of the website, https://www.freecadweb.org/. Don't you find this statement a little bit restraining? If you are not a hobbyist, not an experienced CAD user, not a programmer, or not an educator: FreeCAD is not made for you? What about an architect? A designer? A corporate? A farmer? A human been?
The FreeCAD homepage is deployed from this git repo:
https://github.com/freecad/homepage
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.