How to improve the design of the FreeCAD project?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: How to improve the design of the FreeCAD project?

Post by NormandC »

simonv3 seem to be one of the people in charge over at Open Source Design, see his comments here:

https://github.com/opensourcedesign/job ... -284172951

I do not necessarily want this PR to be closed (as I wrote it's not for myself only to decide), but I think it certainly requires the goal to be circumscribed and broken down into something more detailed and reachable. Which won't be easy to define.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote:That I had the idea, or that you made it a reality?
It was a dream and it came true. That is good enough for me.
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

I'm really sorry, I put in place this post and this "job" offer. I agree with NormandC :
NormandC wrote:I had to search for that "job offer" since Mika38 didn't think of posting the link.

http://opensourcedesign.net/jobs/jobs/2 ... of-freecad

As agryson wrote, help is always very much welcome. But I would like to point out to newcomers that Mika38, the writer of the "job offer", does not speak for the FreeCAD community. He certainly does not speak for me, as I'm in disagreement with much of what he wrote in the job description.

In fact I find his wording rather insulting to the FreeCAD community. He took it upon himself to write it and talks "we" but he didn't ask for advice/didn't try to reach consensus before creating it.
I should not have created this "job" without the consent of the community. And I agree it can fell insulting, even if it wasn't my idea at all. I didn't receive any notification from this post, that why it took me so long to correct it.
I'm going to remove the job offer. I think it is wrong to leave it. I will change my forum setting to improve my reactivity. I will never speak again in the name of the FreeCAD community. And I would like to excuse my self for every person I have offended.

If you have any proposition to repair my mistake, I'm open to proposition.

Have a good day,

Mika
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see. Therefore your intentions where not all that bad after all.

Likely not but hopefully you will continue to invest effort in this area in the future. As a lot of the things you wrote about in your proposal are more or less true if written in more neutral tone.
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

I wrote a reply on the pull request on Open Source Design git hub, asking to remove the job offer:
https://github.com/opensourcedesign/jobs/pull/180
triplus wrote:Likely not but hopefully you will continue to invest effort in this area in the future.
I think, I will try to continue helping, with less initiative and in more humble way. I'm learning from my mistakes.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Sounds good.

P.S. Just note that we don't require for you to be humble. That is you don't have to over extend such efforts in any direction. As a rule of thumb just try to keep things reasonable.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Dropping ickby's UI revamp proof of concept here JIC designers take a look at this thread 8-)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Mika38

Post by Mika38 »

Just to inform that the post on http://opensourcedesign.net/jobs/ have been removed.