Compiling OCCT 6.9.1? or 7.0.0?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Compiling OCCT 6.9.1? or 7.0.0?

Post by NormandC »

Hey guys,

I've noticed a few of the regulars have been using OCC 6.9.1 (Jim and Mark, maybe others?). It's been almost a year since I've compiled FreeCAD, so forgive this newbie question: where did you take OCC 6.9.1 from? From what I can see, it hasn't even been merged in the OCE git repo yet.

I guess you downloaded the source code directly from Open Cascade? http://www.opencascade.com/content/latest-release

Is compiling straightforward, are there any specific hurdles compared to OCE?

Fact is, I'm disappointed that the OCE guys trail so far behind OCCT. OCCT 6.9.1 was released back in September, yet the OCE guys released OCE 0.17.1 in January 2016 based on... OCCT 6.8.0 which dates way back from November 2014. :roll:

And now, OCCT 7.0.0 Release Candidate is available for download as of 2 days ago! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14461

The OCE project is being left in the dust, so shouldn't we be considering going back to OCCT for all projects? (official FreeCAD builds and Ubuntu PPA)
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Compiling OCCT 6.9.1? or 7.0.0?

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:I've noticed a few of the regulars have been using OCC 6.9.1 (Jim and Mark, maybe others?). It's been almost a year since I've compiled FreeCAD, so forgive this newbie question: where did you take OCC 6.9.1 from? From what I can see, it hasn't even been merged in the OCE git repo yet.
I think from here: https://github.com/blobfish/oce I'm not sure which branch.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks for the link, I guess it's from the "691patched_3" branch which seems the latest based on the commits.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't use it to build new OCE packages for the Daily Builds PPA. After all, it's supposed to be cutting-edge.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote:Thanks for the link, I guess it's from the "691patched_3" branch which seems the latest based on the commits.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't use it to build new OCE packages for the Daily Builds PPA. After all, it's supposed to be cutting-edge.
Hi Norm
Yes, that is the branch I use.

To me its starting to look like OCE might be a dead project, I hope not but it does not look good when there are no timely releases.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks Jim,

I wished to start a debate on the opportunity of switching from OCE to OCCT, but obviously this topic has neither the subject nor the forum placement to encourage that.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to move this topic to Open discussion and change the topic subject, or if it would be best to create a new topic?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think most active people have stepped out of the OCE project... And there is the problem that upgrading it to a newer version of OCCT is apparently not a simple task. I really don't know what will happen with it. But indeed it is becoming a bit unpractical.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm subscribed to the oce mailing list. The problem is there is only a single guy (D. Barbier) who can rebase OCCT code in OCE. There were talks back in December 2015 about training other people to do the job, but nothing seems to have panned out so far, and the mails are few and far between. tanderson69/blobfish may know more...

Obviously for the 0.16 release the wise thing to do is build it with the latest OCE release available, but after that I am going to push for going back to OCCT, or using tanderson69's patched OCE branch.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

NormandC wrote:tanderson69/blobfish may know more...
Not really. Last I heard dbprog was going to put some time into it over the holidays.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

tanderson69 wrote:
NormandC wrote:tanderson69/blobfish may know more...
Not really. Last I heard dbprog was going to put some time into it over the holidays.
Hi Thomas
This might be a difficult question to answer accurately and simply but ... :) ...I am wondering how significant and important (particularly to FreeCAD) are the OCE patches? How much benefit do we get from your patching of 6.9.1 and how much do those patches effect OCCT after 7.0.0? I think you wrote some of these patches, out of curiosity do you know how many you wrote or approximately what percentage of the patches were yours? :)

Jim
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

jmaustpc wrote:I am wondering how significant and important (particularly to FreeCAD) are the OCE patches?
I would say not much, if any.
jmaustpc wrote:how much do those patches effect OCCT after 7.0.0?
Haven't looked at 7 yet, so I have no idea.
jmaustpc wrote:I think you wrote some of these patches, out of curiosity do you know how many you wrote or approximately what percentage of the patches were yours?
I didn't add anything but fixes for compiler warnings.

IMHO: for all practical purposes they are the same. The only significant improvement oce has over occt is the cmake and cpack. Build and install of oce goes real smooth for me. I have no idea what compiling occt is like now, so I have no idea if oce is still so much better at installation.