What are the minimum dependenies for FreeCAD

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

What are the minimum dependenies for FreeCAD

Post by sgrogan »

I will later reference the links to various other threads.
What are the required packages to be installed for FreeCAD, not a wish list, but what is required to compile and run
FreeCAD on Ubuntu.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Re: What are the minimum dependenies for FreeCAD

Post by NormandC »

I wish you had used the topic I linked rather than create yet a new one...

Edit: this topic Current state of FreeCAD's Dependencies
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks Norm, If a mod can move it great..
drei's questions go unanswered.I know Python 2.7, but which packages? etc.
I reference the travis.yml file in the FreeCAD source that builds in a 12.04 virtual machine. This isn't the definitive source. But probably should be. Does FreeCAD build on the oldest supported Ubuntu? https://travis-ci.org/sgrogan/FreeCAD
@drei, sorry for missing this before.
"fight the good fight"
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

sgrogan wrote:Does FreeCAD build on the oldest supported Ubuntu?
It should in FreeCAD 0.16, but post fc0.16 we will require c++11 support, which will kill 12.04 support, at least without upgrading and reconfiguring gcc. Which then kills the ability to make debug builds due to a third party lib, coin I think was the problem. I have done this to my system so I can no longer test default 12.04, But I can build and test any post 0.16 FreeCAD but only in a Release build.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jmaustpc wrote: It should in FreeCAD 0.16, but post fc0.16 we will require c++11 support, which will kill 12.04 support, at least without upgrading and reconfiguring gcc. Which then kills the ability to make debug builds due to a third party lib, coin I think was the problem. I have done this to my system so I can no longer test default 12.04, But I can build and test any post 0.16 FreeCAD but only in a Release build.
Thanks jmaustpc,

The question was rhetorical, of course FreeCAD compiles presently. My idea was that the travis.yml file is more recent than the PPA control file. To Normandc's point libsoqt4 isn't required but some of it's dependencies are. I think drei's original question is the fundamental one. Of course there will be version issues with different distos, but a clear baseline would be benificial.

If this could be appended to drei's topic I think that would be great. He asked the true question and I'm sorry I missed it.
"fight the good fight"
drei

Post by drei »

I had forgot I even asked that :lol:

Well, depending on how FreeCAD moves forward we will have to update the 3rd party dependencies. One important thing is post processing in FEM, because ickby is adding VTK support (which is really good) but opens up the question:

Is it time to modularize FreeCAD? Personally, I use everything related to mechanical engineering so I do need these dependencies, but other people have no need for it.

And also, perhaps we should start seeing what OS and distros we should support. As mentioned before 12.04 will cause conflicts, and there is also the problem with Ubuntu releases that are not LTS (no sure footing in which to add support).
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

It should in FreeCAD 0.16, but post fc0.16 we will require c++11 support, which will kill 12.04 support, at least without upgrading and reconfiguring gcc. Which then kills the ability to make debug builds due to a third party lib, coin I think was the problem. I have done this to my system so I can no longer test default 12.04, But I can build and test any post 0.16 FreeCAD but only in a Release build.
Do you have a link to where it's discussed that a Debug build won't be possible in the future? AFAIK until now there are two C++11 related issues:
with boost and recently another issue appeared with vtk
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:
Do you have a link to where it's discussed that a Debug build won't be possible in the future? AFAIK until now there are two C++11 related issues:
Hi Werner, I will find it and get back to you, I was getting the compiling problem on my 12.04 machine with the updated GCC...so I can easily test again as well.
Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:
Hi Werner, I found it
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14108&start=20#p113044

I just pulled master and check again a few minutes ago and confirmed that I still get the compile error. If you want me to test some changes I will be happy to do so.

Jim