Ubuntu PPA Maintenance Coordination

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Ubuntu PPA Maintenance Coordination

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:I don't think this is me. From your second link see here. See this https://code.launchpad.net/~5-a-day-par ... ecad-daily
I think we are not understanding each other. This link is irrelevant. It's a build recipe created by someone else.

I am talking about lp:freecad, which links to an obsolete packaging branch created by Werner in 2011. I want lp:freecad to link to freecad-maintainers' gitmaster repo.
sgrogan wrote:From the master branch "git pull". If you then "git checkout" and the local branch is not up to date the git will promt you to "git pull"
Unfortunately it doesn't. I git pulled master, checked out dailybuild, it was not up-to-date, and Git didn't prompt me. So I need to do it manually for each branch. :(
Last edited by NormandC on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm having another go at building a freecad-daily package. I have made changes to my gitpackaging:dailybuild local repo, but I will not commit them until I know it works, or at least it makes it further in the build.

I'll report my progress.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

My freecad-daily deb package built successfully... But I am unable to install it.

All Gdebi will tell me is "Errors were encountered during execution". Gee thanks Gdebi, that's very helpful. :roll:

EDIT: if I uninstall the freecad_0.16.6703 package first, then I'm able to install the freecad-daily package. Something is conflicting, but I don't know what.

Edit the 2nd: I tried installing freecad_0.15.6703 again, now I get more info from Synaptic.
Synaptic wrote:E: /var/cache/apt/archives/freecad_1%3a0.16.6703-1ppa1~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: tentative de remplacement de « /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/application-x-extension-fcstd.png », qui appartient aussi au paquet freecad-daily 0.17~alpha1-1trusty1
Sorry for the French... Basically, the problem is that both packages attempt to save the same file in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/mimetypes/application-x-extension-fcstd.png. I'm unsure how to fix this, since the filetype is the same: maybe we could disable mimetype setting on the freecad-daily package? But that would mean that for a user who chose not to install the freecad release, fcstd files would not be recognized as owned by FreeCAD.

Would assuming people already installed freecad_0.16.6703 from the Stable PPA before installing freecad-daily be reasonable?

Another stupid idea:
  • Remove mimetype (filetype) setting from the freecad-daily package
  • Copy the freecad_0.16.6703 packages from the Stable PPA to the Daily PPA
  • Set a dependency on freecad in the freecad-daily package
  • When the user installs freecad-daily, both versions are installed.
If any existing user of the Daily Builds PPA is reading this, what do you think?
Last edited by NormandC on Sun May 01, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
nzurbrugg

Post by nzurbrugg »

NormandC wrote:Would assuming people already installed freecad_0.16.6703 from the Stable PPA before installing freecad-daily be reasonable?
Currently, I only have freecad-daily installed, so that might not be a good assumption. But if it was documented on the downloads wiki page as a requirement, that would seem perfectly reasonable to me.
NormandC wrote:Another stupid idea:
Remove mimetype (filetype) setting from the freecad-daily package
Copy the freecad_0.16.6703 packages from the Stable PPA to the Daily PPA
Set a dependency on freecad in the freecad-daily package
When the user installs freecad-daily, both versions are installed.
From my perspective this sounds like a great idea since everything would be done automatically, but I'm not sure whether I understand all the implications.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks for your reply.
nzurbrugg wrote:Currently, I only have freecad-daily installed
You mean you downloaded and installed my package from Dropbox, or do you have the existing package from the Daily Builds PPA? That package (named freecad) has not been updated since early April.
nzurbrugg wrote:From my perspective this sounds like a great idea since everything would be done automatically, but I'm not sure whether I understand all the implications.
Well that makes two of us! :D

We've been mostly winging it around here. I may have been maintaining the PPAs for years, my knowledge on debian packaging remains rather limited.

I currently have another attempt at building a package running. The fix may be simple and would actually allow registering FreeCAD documents in Ubuntu... They just would not have a FreeCAD icon. Thumbnails (if the option is enabled in FreeCAD's preferences) may work. Fingers crossed!
nzurbrugg

Post by nzurbrugg »

NormandC wrote:You mean you downloaded and installed my package from Dropbox, or do you have the existing package from the Daily Builds PPA? That package (named freecad) has not been updated since early April.
sorry, the Daily Builds PPA package named freecad.

btw, thanks for all your work towards this! The whole packaging process is completely unknown to me :oops: Though this thread sheds a little light into it.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I think we have it. :D
FC_synaptic_dual_freecad_01.png
FC_synaptic_dual_freecad_01.png (110.17 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
I will push my changes to the gitpackaging:dailybuild branch.

I think what's needed now:
  1. Create a dailybuild recipe DONE https://code.launchpad.net/~freecad-mai ... ners-daily
  2. Update gitmaster: master and gitversioning:master Can you do it sgrogan?
  3. Build package for trusty in personal PPA
  4. Test
  5. Determine whether we set freecad 0.16.6703 as a package dependency. Wait for feedback in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15552
  6. If not, maybe set a conflict with the last daily build package to make sure it gets uninstalled...
  7. Decide whether we want separate FreeCAD preferences/mods. i.e., one single ~./FreeCAD folder, or ~./FreeCAD for 0.16 and ~./FreeCAD-daily. Maybe we start with the single folder and see how it goes.
  8. Deploy on Daily Builds PPA for trusty, wily and xenial.
jean.thil

Post by jean.thil »

Hi,
Thanks for your hard work.
What ppa should I add to get freecad 0.17 ?
I have https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... ecad-daily on my ppa list and I can't get the 0.17 packages.

Code: Select all

apt-cache search freecad
freecad-extras-assembly2 - Assembly2 external python module for FreeCAD
freecad-extras-drawing-dimensioning - Drawing dimensioning external python module for FreeCAD
freecad-extras-fasteners - A workbench to add/attach various fasteners to parts.
freecad-extras-lattice - Workbench for working with placements and arrays of placements
freecad-extras-lattice2 - Workbench for working with placements and arrays of placements
freecad-extras-sheetmetal - Workbench for working with sheets of metal
freecad-extras-timber - A Timber module for FreeCAD
freecad-extras-animation - Workbench for animation
freecad-extras-cadquery - A module-workbench combo that adds a CadQuery editor to FreeCAD
freecad-extras-workfeature - Macro WorkFeature
freecad-extras-bolts - BOLTS is an Open Library for Technical Specifications FreeCAD support
freecad-extras-kicadstepuptools - Macro for creating KiCAD 3D Models
freecad-extras-eaglepcb2freecad - Workbench for EDA to FreeCAD imports
freecad-extras-idfimporter - An alternative IDFv3 importer
freecad-extras-kicadstepuptools-wb - Workbench for creating KiCAD 3D Models
freecad-extras-macroparttovrml - Macro for creating colorful VRML parts
freecad - Extensible Open Source CAx program (beta)
freecad-dev - FreeCAD development files
freecad-doc - FreeCAD documentation
Thanks in advance
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Please read my previous post again.

Only item 1 of 8 is marked as done...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:Update gitmaster: master and gitversioning:master Can you do it sgrogan?
I'm uploading the updated Libpack's for Win after the x64 completes will do, probably about 30-45 minutes.
Updated gitmaster and gitversioning are pushed. 0.17.7468
"fight the good fight"