ReverseEngineering module fails to compile due to bug in cmake script?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kcleung

ReverseEngineering module fails to compile due to bug in cmake script?

Post by kcleung »

I am compiling the git default head commit 711213d58e355d643b4b2e68f8fd8eb2bb7db0ea on Ubuntu 16.04 with cmake 3.5.1. However it fails when compiling ReverseEngineering, and apparently due to some form of cmake script problems:

[ 72%] Built target RobotGui
[ 72%] Generating ../../../../Mod/ReverseEngineering/Init.py
Scanning dependencies of target ReverseEngineering
src/Mod/ReverseEngineering/App/CMakeFiles/ReverseEngineering.dir/depend.make:4: *** missing separator. Stop.
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:2694: recipe for target 'src/Mod/ReverseEngineering/App/CMakeFiles/ReverseEngineering.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [src/Mod/ReverseEngineering/App/CMakeFiles/ReverseEngineering.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
abc@abc-virtual-machine:/mnt/hgfs/git/dev/freecad-bin$ vim src/Mod/ReverseEngineering/App/CMakeFiles/ReverseEngineering.dir/depend.make
abc@abc-virtual-machine:/mnt/hgfs/git/dev/freecad-bin$

However, when I looked at the abovementioned files, I didn't see any spacing problems.

Can anyone try it out on Linux?
f3nix

Re: ReverseEngineering module fails to compile due to bug in cmake script?

Post by f3nix »

Hi,
everything works ok here. CMake 3.5.2

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.7623 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: f9d28145727f15f4abb00d18e2f3ed85e95bbb4b
Python version: 2.7.11+
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17

EDIT:
After googling it seems that your generated Makefile has some spaces instead of tabs.

Cheers,
Mateusz
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

I know the generated Makefile has space instead of tabs! But why are spaces generated? Is it be cause of some bugs in our cmake scripts, or is it becasue a bug in cmake 3.5.1?
f3nix

Post by f3nix »

kcleung wrote: However, when I looked at the abovementioned files, I didn't see any spacing problems.
kcleung wrote:I know the generated Makefile has space instead of tabs! But why are spaces generated? Is it be cause of some bugs in our cmake scripts, or is it becasue a bug in cmake 3.5.1?
Hi.
Hmm. That is rather confusing...

Anyway...

I've tried building latest master on Ubuntu Xenial. It compiles without any problems. The same goes for Debian Sid. Both were Debug builds.

Maybe you should try building from scratch in a fresh build directory?

Cheers,
Mateusz
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

f3nix wrote:
kcleung wrote: However, when I looked at the abovementioned files, I didn't see any spacing problems.
kcleung wrote:I know the generated Makefile has space instead of tabs! But why are spaces generated? Is it be cause of some bugs in our cmake scripts, or is it becasue a bug in cmake 3.5.1?
Hi.
Hmm. That is rather confusing...

Anyway...

I've tried building latest master on Ubuntu Xenial. It compiles without any problems. The same goes for Debian Sid. Both were Debug builds.

Maybe you should try building from scratch in a fresh build directory?

Cheers,
Mateusz
I have just upgraded cmake from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2, and also in a fresh build directory, but no success.

Actually I build freecad off-site in a separate directory. this is what I did:

git clone ....... /* clone to FreeCAD */

$ mkdir freecad-bin /* the build directory */
$ cd freecad-bin
$ cmake ../FreeCAD /* the source directory */
$ make

However I hosted the freecad source and build directories in the host filesystem (OS X), and the ubuntu is actually installed in a VMware fusion virtual machine, and the source and build directories fro the host FS is made available to the ubuntu VM by directory sharing through VMware fusion
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

However I hosted the freecad source and build directories in the host filesystem (OS X)
Under Windows I have a virtual Ubuntu that can access the source directory of the host. However, I must choose a build directory inside the guest OS because otherwise I get many problems.
kcleung

Post by kcleung »

wmayer wrote:
However I hosted the freecad source and build directories in the host filesystem (OS X)
Under Windows I have a virtual Ubuntu that can access the source directory of the host. However, I must choose a build directory inside the guest OS because otherwise I get many problems.
You are right. I have just successfully built inside the guest OS. Thanks for your help!