gentoo freecad-9999.ebuild fails

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
treslah

gentoo freecad-9999.ebuild fails

Post by treslah »

On gentoo linux the lastest stable ebuild is quite old and outdated: freecad-0.15.4671

Therefore I used to build 0.17 with freecad-9999.ebuild.
But that stopped linking a few months back and was not very useful at that point anyway.

For now I use 0.16 manually compiled.
But since 0.17 source code should be useable right now, please would someone who knows his stuff fix the freecad-9999.ebuild !?!

Much appreciated!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: gentoo freecad-9999.ebuild fails

Post by PrzemoF »

Welcome to the forum!

Please provide any error messages and we'll hep you to fix it. I don't know if there is any other gentoo user around, but we definitely have working builds for fedora and ubuntu.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

"fight the good fight"
treslah

Post by treslah »

Thanks lads for having a look.
I attached a log file of my last try a few minutes ago. (--> build.log)

@sgrogan:
Yep, that's exactly the one I try to emerge and fails...
Attachments
build.log
(709.96 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

You need the medc library in version 3.0.7 or later. In MED_Factory.cpp the compilation fails because med_bool is missing. It's defined as:

Code: Select all

typedef enum {MED_FALSE, MED_TRUE} med_bool ;
which you should find in med.h
treslah

Post by treslah »

@wmayer: you're the man!

ah well, that was easy. :-)

Replaced old sci-libs/med with sci-libs/libmed from the science-overlay ... and there she goes !

But wouldn't I be easier to put up a list of all requirements for *nix platforms (DISTRO independent!) ?
Then stupid people like me, who can't read log/code files that well, can simply look it up !?!

Anyways ... thanks a lot!
Excellent work people!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

treslah wrote:@wmayer: you're the man!
I think there is no doubt about this :D
treslah wrote:But wouldn't I be easier to put up a list of all requirements for *nix platforms (DISTRO independent!) ?
DISTRO independent is tough, the packages are named differently and the dependencies of dependencies pulled in is different. Looking at the .ebuild file I was going to post a list of missing dependencies but they seem to be there by default on gentoo.
The wiki always needs love. http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... pileOnUnix
The gentoo section looks light. But I don't know a developer or active community member on this Distro. Your help with the wiki would be greatly appreciated! You can ask for an account by PM'ing a forum moderator.
Anyway glad it worked out so easily for you. I hadn't noticed your OP was your first post so a belated;
Welcome to FreeCAD and the Forum :)
"fight the good fight"
freedomlives

Post by freedomlives »

Thanks for solving this. BTW, to anyone who might be fairly new to gentoo, you need to use layman to add the overlay (non gentoo project packages) "science" into portage to be able to install the aforementioned library.
In short:

Code: Select all

# emerge layman
# layman -a science
# layman -S
last commands syncs overlays. emerge --sync doesn't do that. At least that is how I do it, but the Gentoo Wiki has more details, and maybe a better way https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay

The ideal, of course, would be for someone to maintain the freecad-9999 ebuild, and include the necessary libraries there.