Version 16 install package

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Version 16 install package

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote:Actually we do support that now:
Come on, it's a very specific use case. I was talking in general, and in general (99.9% of the time) you get your software through distro repositories.
triplus wrote:But the AppImage is only provided for x86_64 architecture therefore it won't work on ARM7 architecture.
I made a quick search last night. Only Debian (specifically jessie-backports) provides an armhf package of FreeCAD 0.16.670x. ARM is a complicated architecture, I'm not sure armhf is what's required here.

Raspbian (based on Debian) is an official distro for Raspberry Pi. I believe it would more suited to this hardware than Ubuntu 16.04, which I doubt is as optimized for low-powered ARM hardware. It may already include a freecad package but I haven't checked.
EdNiemeyer

Post by EdNiemeyer »

http://www.raspberry-pi-geek.com Magazine Issue #17 Page 56 is a FREECAD how=to for 0.14 Works fine! (Link)
Last edited by r-frank on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: r-frank: edited/repaired links
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

EdNiemeyer wrote:Magazine Issue #17 Page 56 is a FREECAD how=to for 0.14 Works fine!
The problem is that v0.14.3700 is almost 3-year old. In FreeCAD development, it's an eternity. Much of the stuff shown in the FreeCAD documentation or in Youtube tutorials won't work with 0.14.
EdNiemeyer

Post by EdNiemeyer »

I agree 1000%, and ultimately also found out that my post is true only for wheezy, not jessie. Don't know why the Jessie O.S. would not have the same frame update speed, or how to attack the problem. I only wanted to use freecad to simplify my drawing and 3D design stuff for now.

I'm gonna let the really smart guys do their thing and not push them off course.

I actually used freecad to do my first 3D print design on a friends' MakerBot. To someone born in World War 2, it was like MAGIC!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

EdNiemeyer wrote:I actually used freecad to do my first 3D print design on a friends' MakerBot. To someone born in World War 2, it was like MAGIC!
Hehe, I may be from a younger generation but I remember the beginnings of the personal computing era, made my teeth on an Atari 600XL and the BASIC language. Indeed back then I would never have dreamed how far we'd go, 3D printers being what amounts to an in-house personal mini-factory. :)
probono

Post by probono »

> But the AppImage is only provided for x86_64 architecture therefore it won't work on ARM7 architecture.

Check this: https://github.com/probonopd/AppImageKi ... -274148443

AppImageKit compiled on armv7l Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian Jessie