Version 16 install package

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bill Daniels

Version 16 install package

Post by Bill Daniels »

I tried downloading v16.xx for Ubuntu 16.04 but the program was crashing every few minutes so I uninstalled it. Now, I'd like to install the latest stable version but I can't find an installable package on the web. There must be hundreds of sites advertising the "latest" FreeCAD version which haven't been updated in years. Please give me a pointer. (I'm not a coder)

Bill Daniels
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Version 16 install package

Post by NormandC »

Bill Daniels wrote:I tried downloading v16.xx for Ubuntu 16.04 but the program was crashing every few minutes so I uninstalled it.
What does that even mean. There is no downloading packages for Ubuntu, I believe I told you that that already. You add the FreeCAD Stable Releases PPA to your software sources, then you install the package. It is all explained in the wiki.

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ily.22_PPA
Bill Daniels wrote:I can't find an installable package on the web.
Ubuntu is not Windows, you do not look everywhere on the net for downloadable programs, you check the official website - the wiki explains it all.
Bill Daniels

Post by Bill Daniels »

Don't be too hard. I'm just an old retired slide rule engineer.

I did use the FreeCAD Stable Releases PPA from the wiki which is how I got the unstable mess. I had earlier found installable DEB files for the 0.15 release which is why I was looking for another DEB file for 0.16. I re-installed 0.16 stable with the PPAA - we'll see how it goes.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bill Daniels wrote:Don't be too hard. I'm just an old retired slide rule engineer.
I re-installed 0.16 stable with the PPAA - we'll see how it goes.
That's the way to go. If you have troubles with that version, share them here and find a helping hand.
If you are not sure, if you really got the right thing you could look in /var/cache/apt/archives/. There you find the .deb file you had been looking for :) .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Bill Daniels wrote:Don't be too hard. I'm just an old retired slide rule engineer.
Okay, but I did tell you mostly what I just wrote here in another topic, about a month ago.
Bill Daniels wrote:I did use the FreeCAD Stable Releases PPA from the wiki which is how I got the unstable mess.
I noticed your other topics. You've been having problems no other Ubuntu user seems to be having.

How did you install Ubuntu 16.04? Was it a fresh install, or was it an upgrade from a previous Ubuntu version? If you upgraded Ubuntu, it might explain your problems. Sometimes the migration is not done cleanly.

The 0.16.6703 package from the Stable Releases PPA has been very stable so far on Ubuntu 14.04. I have not switched to 16.04 yet. I might keep my 14.04 system untouched, and install 16.04 besides it.
Bill Daniels wrote:I had earlier found installable DEB files for the 0.15 release which is why I was looking for another DEB file for 0.16
Installing just the one .deb is in general a bad idea, for any PPA repository, because the software may rely on libraries that are only available on the PPA, or it may rely on library versions that are more recent than those provided by the official Ubuntu repositories.
DC Bradley

Post by DC Bradley »

Is there a current version of FreeCAD for UBUNTU / Raspberry Pi that can be downloaded (Processor:Arm7) ? I have been looking for a week now and I guess I am to new to the Linux world to figure out how to accomplish this task... Can someone help?

DC
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

DC Bradley wrote:Is there a current version of FreeCAD for UBUNTU / Raspberry Pi that can be downloaded (Processor:Arm7) ? I have been looking for a week now and I guess I am to new to the Linux world to figure out how to accomplish this task... Can someone help?
I don't think so. I could only get arm64 working on the PPA. What version of Ubuntu?
"fight the good fight"
DC Bradley

Post by DC Bradley »

I installed UBUNTU-MATE 16.04, then after checking to see if the system-os build was working I rebooted, then went to the system update-all page and updated everything to the L/G (Latest & Greatest). The tried to download the FREECAD software and I do not fully understand how the Linux downloads work. I would think that there is a single package / program to download to execute and install, but I am behind the learning curve to understand that I am finding out that the before mentioned process is wrong. I do not know what to do?... yes before you say it, I am reading and learning every day about Linux systems.

Do you have a good manual to read or web page to reference... I have a bad feeling that your are going to refer to a manual that can not only be used for stopping bullets, meteors, and other fast moving objects and can neutralize large gravitational effects beside large mountain ranges, right.

DC
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi DC,
DC Bradley wrote: The tried to download the FREECAD software and I do not fully understand how the Linux downloads work. I would think that there is a single package / program to download to execute and install
You do not download apps on Linux like on Windows.

You install programs from your distribution's repository of packages, either using commands in a terminal, or through the GUI with a package manager.

Ubuntu 16.04 contains an obsolete version of FreeCAD, which is why the FreeCAD project offers a repository called a PPA that contains the latest release (0.16.6707). This is what sgrogan was mentioning. See Install_on_Unix

I'm not sure but I remember one RaspberryPi user mentioning here he could only install a very old version of FreeCAD (0.14 I believe) and it was too slow to be usable.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

NormandC wrote:You do not download apps on Linux like on Windows.
Actually we do support that now:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.16

But the AppImage is only provided for x86_64 architecture therefore it won't work on ARM7 architecture.