No application window at all

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xalba

Re: No application window at all

Post by xalba »

After reinstalling SIS driver "No application window at all" again.

So the user will have to decide whether he wants to use FreeCAD with max 1024 x768 display resolution.
Or having display resolution up to 1280 x800 (recommended) with better display quality but not being able to exec FreeCAD.

Crazy. :?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @xalba.

SIS driver sounds old and embedded devices graphic to me. Therefore i feel its safe to conclude it's hardware graphic issue preventing you to use 3D application such as FreeCAD.

I checked if Ubuntu would perform better on such device but the same resolution issues and driver problems are reported for Ubuntu. Therefore try to find the latest driver for your hardware and if that won't be enough likely that is that.
xalba

Post by xalba »

Hello triplus,

the driver I installed was the newest I could find in w3.sis.com and you are right it is from 2011 for Windows 7, this laptop is using Windows 10.

I also tried with a Kubuntu 2014 live Pendrive but wasn't able to install FreeCAD because the download ended unexpectedly.

Thank you.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

xalba wrote:I also tried with a Kubuntu 2014 live Pendrive but wasn't able to install FreeCAD because the download ended unexpectedly.

Thank you.
Some cards contain a 3D graphics accelerator but it is only functional with the SiS's Proprietary Windows-only driver [1] (the company does not provide [2] documentation for others to write drivers). However, the Linux kernel includes a working third party driver that, while not supporting 3D gaming, makes the cards usable under Linux.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_I ... ed_Systems

Therefore this doesn't look good. Maybe you coudl try out SiS UniVGA3 on Windows to see if there is any difference. If not use the default Windows driver to get correct resolution and forget about running 3D applications on this laptop.
xalba

Post by xalba »

After trying a long shot and a panic moment of having to recover the system. :shock:

I have found a work around to use FreeCAD with SIS driver.

I'm translating to English, so the real captions could differ.

From Device Manager (Win key + x):

1. Double click on Display Adapter

2. Change configuration: Driver --> Update driver

3. Search driver on PC

4. Choose from a list of device drivers on PC

5. There are two options here
+ Microsoft basic display adapter <<--- (this one)
+ SiS Mirage 3 Graphics

6. Once the basic display adapter is selected exec FreeCAD and the program window is displayed.

7. Repeat steps 2 to 5 and choose again SiS Mirage 3 Graphics. Display resolutions improves again and FreeCAD windows is still visible and usable.

It's not the best way to run it but is the only one that the laptop owner can use with best resolution for now.

I hope this message is understandable and useful to others.

Thank you.