Python module numpy missing on clean PPA install.

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: Python module numpy missing on clean PPA install.

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:This is probably off-topic, but I just noticed tonight that when doing File --> Open after a fresh launch of the freecad-daily package, it always opens in the /usr/lib/freecad-daily folder. It's pretty damn annoying. :?
I think this is related to this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17947&start=10#p141487
"fight the good fight"
blacey

Post by blacey »

sgrogan wrote: Thanks, got it now, I had only looked at the travis.yaml. I'll look at the self tests. I thought all workbenches were loaded and this should have produced a failure on linux Travis.
Correct, the Travis unit tests would definitely fail. For dependency references, it is best to look at the FreeCad brew formula that is also used by Travis as of late. In other words, Travis doesn't enumerate all the macOS dependencies because they are now encapsulate in the official FreeCAD homebrew formula.

That said, using brew deps --tree FreeCAD we can see that python-numpy is a transitive dependency pulled in by matplotlib hence we don't need specify it directly - in case you noticed that in the FreeCAD formula that I cited above ;)...
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.07.45 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.07.45 PM.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Last edited by blacey on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

blacey wrote:For dependency references, it is best to look at the FreeCad brew formula
I don't think the FreeCAD self tests check dependencies directly. But I thought all workbenches were at least activated by the self tests. I would think if Path wouldn't load the test should fail.

On Travis python-matplotlib is a dependency so python-numpy gets pulled in.

On the PPA python-matplotlib is a Suggests. I need to research the implications of this.
Thanks blacey, this is the lead I needed.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

blacey wrote:Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 5.07.45 PM.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 17 times
Great Screenshot!
python-matpotlib depends on python3? OK maybe matpotlib has python2/3 compliant code.
python-numpy depends on python3 and gcc? A python3 dependency and a VS C/C++ dependency would break windows. gcc is more forgiving.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:
NormandC wrote:File --> Open after a fresh launch of the freecad-daily package, it always opens in the /usr/lib/freecad-daily folder. It's pretty damn annoying. :?
I think this is related to this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17947&start=10#p141487
Thanks, I'll post in there but I'll do further testing first. I'm wondering if sharing the same .FreeCAD folder between 0.16 and 0.17 is creating the problem...