New/Old System/Freecad

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
frecd

New/Old System/Freecad

Post by frecd »

I had to back off from Freecad for a while, as I had, too many problems to deal with. Anyway, I've just done a system re-install, and reading through the new setup info, I'm seeing some new problems to deal with. First, I'm running Kubuntu 12.04. It's going to be quite a while before any upgrade happens, as it appears that someone did a study of everything I do, how I go about doing it, and then, surgically removed it all from the newer distros. Unfortunately, the latest/greatest version of Freecad, now apparently only goes as far back as 14.04.

So the question is this: What version, (I think it was 17), of amd64 Freecad do I need, and where can I get it, and the associated files, and programs? I'll probably need the directions, too.

Bill
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: New/Old System/Freecad

Post by Jee-Bee »

just check

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... ll_on_Unix

daily and stable version are explained...
NormandC
Veteran

Re: New/Old System/Freecad

Post by NormandC »

frecd wrote:Unfortunately, the latest/greatest version of Freecad, now apparently only goes as far back as 14.04.
0.17 is only available as development snapshots, and as far as the PartDesign workbench is concerned, it is nowhere near ready for wide use. Many things will change, and may render any files made with it unreadable.

To move forward, FreeCAD needed to update the software libraries it was based on. The software libraries in Ubuntu 12.04 are too old. In any case, Ubuntu 12.04 will no longer be maintained after April 2017, and it is highly unlikely that 0.17 will be released before that.

This means that 0.16.670x will be the last version compatible with Ubuntu 12.04.