Linux Mint 18: stuck with FreeCAD 0.15

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jijil

Linux Mint 18: stuck with FreeCAD 0.15

Post by jijil »

Hello,

I'm a user of Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon and would like to use latest FreeCAD 0.17 (like I do on my W10 computer).
If I just "sudo apt-get install freecad", I get a 0.15.
If I install freecad-daily PPA, reload sources (sudo apt-get update) , remove the installed version (sudo apt-get remove freecad) and try a "sudo apt-get install freecad-daily", I get an error message complaining about other packages dependencies...
For example, libcoin80... I noticed by an "apt-cache search libcoin80" that libcoin80v5 though exists... and that for every required package, they exists with a v5 suffix after their name.

Something be wrong somewhere... could you help me?
Thank you :)

PS: I would like to avoid installing source code, dependencies and compile everything myself. The point is about disk space and to ensure to automatically get latest version (thanks to the ones who maintain the PPA ;) )
junior 3D designer but curious and open minded :)
yorik
Founder

Re: Linux Mint 18: stuck with FreeCAD 0.15

Post by yorik »

The latest ubuntu also have libcoin80v5. So I believe the PPA version of FreeCAD-daily for ubuntu >= 16.10 uses it. Maybe you need to update your PPA source?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

The daily PPA packages are based on the distro libraries. 16.04 has libcoin80v5.

I suspect a distribution upgrade problem.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

NormandC wrote:I suspect a distribution upgrade problem.
Or maybe Yorik is right. What did you enter for the ppa? Linux Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (it would be nice if Linux Mint users always mentioned it so I didn't have to hunt the info down each time :roll: ) which means your ppa line needs to end with xenial.
jijil

Post by jijil »

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.
I added Freecad's PPA using the provided instructions ( sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily & so on).
Sorry for not having provided ubuntu/debian's corresponding versions.
Thanks to your informations, I also suspect some problem with the (recently done) distribution upgrade of my installed linux.
I keep you informed as soon as I'm able to reinstall the whole thing...
junior 3D designer but curious and open minded :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please don't put your freecad info on the signature. All of your posts, even older ones, get the new signature making it extremly difficult to understand them if version dependent issues are involved.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jijil wrote:I added Freecad's PPA using the provided instructions ( sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily & so on).
Hello jijil, can you run

Code: Select all

dpkg -s freecad-daily
and post the results. It looks like your package manager is pulling the trusty package from the FreeCAD PPA (It is the only package that depends on libcoin80)
"fight the good fight"