[Ubuntu Daily PPA] How to install debug symbols package

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

[Ubuntu Daily PPA] How to install debug symbols package

Post by NormandC »

@sgrogan wrote recently that he activated the debug symbols packages on the Daily Builds PPA. (Thanks! :) )

From what I understand, this may allow to generate a more useful backtrace log, but AFAIK nobody has tested this so far.

The problem is that there is no easy way to install these debug symbols packages.

From what I was able to gather, here's what you need to do to install debug symbols packages.

Please note that you cannot use GUI tools! I tried using the Software sources GUI tool and it messed up my sources!

Note: on Kubuntu and other KDE-based desktops, please replace gksudo gedit with kdesudo kate.

First, the PPA needs one more deb line, and the file in sources.list.d needs to be edited.

On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freecad-maintainers-freecad-daily-trusty.list
On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freecad-maintainers-freecad-daily-xenial.list
On Ubuntu 16.10:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freecad-maintainers-freecad-daily-yakkety.list
On Ubuntu 17.04:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/freecad-maintainers-freecad-daily-zesty.list
Next, we copy the first line starting with deb and ending with main, and we append /debug to the copied line.

For trusty, the new line will look like this:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily/ubuntu trusty main/debug
For other versions, "trusty" will be replaced by the proper distro name.

Save the changes and close the file.

Next, the sources list needs to be updated:

sudo apt-get update
And finally we can install the debug symbols package:

sudo apt-get install freecad-daily-dbgsym
The package was not listed in the Synaptic package manager even after refreshing the sources, I was only able to install it from the terminal.

Now to test! :geek:

---
Source: How to install debug symbols for installed packages?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Ubuntu Daily PPA] How to install debug symbols package

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Now to test! :geek:
Nice!
Linking https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=20007
When we get this working we should mention it in the Wiki FreeCAD Debugging page
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:@sgrogan wrote recently that he activated the debug symbols packages on the Daily Builds PPA. (Thanks! :) )

From what I understand, this may allow to generate a more useful backtrace log, but AFAIK nobody has tested this so far.

The problem is that there is no easy way to install these debug symbols packages.
I haven't tried yet, but why wouldn't

work?
Thanks for the link, it's good to know that gdb can find the libs automatically.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote: I haven't tried yet, but why wouldn't

work?
Because that's one of the first things I tried and it didn't work, the package wasn't found. You really need to edit the freecad-maintainers-freecad-daily-<version>.list file and add the main/debug line. Only then is the package found.
sgrogan wrote:it's good to know that gdb can find the libs automatically.
It's untested :D
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:Because that's one of the first things I tried and it didn't work, the package wasn't found. You really need to edit the freecad-maintainers-freecad-daily-<version>.list file and add the main/debug line. Only then is the package found.
My question was more rhetorical, I assumed that you had tried it already. The broken link at the end of your link probably explained it.
I googled around before I activated this and the debug symbols should not effect performance. This seems distinct from a debug build. Thanks for testing this NormandC! Have you crashed FreeCAD on purpose yet?
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:The broken link at the end of your link probably explained it.
Broken link? :?:

I read that by default, Canonical didn't want the package software (like Synaptic) to be polluted with debug packages, since most end users will never use them.
sgrogan wrote:Have you crashed FreeCAD on purpose yet?
I can't seem to leave the forum and try! :D
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Broken link? :?:
EDIT:
from the comments ppa.launchpad.net/USER/PPA/ubuntu but it's not a real link :oops:
NormandC wrote:I can't seem to leave the forum and try! :D
FreeCAD doesn't crash easily anyway, you must work at it ;)
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Rather than doing gksudo gedit etc, it's also easy to just use sudo -e FILENAME which will open up FILENAME with whatever editor the environment variable EDITOR is set to, e.g. for me I have:

$ echo $EDITOR
/usr/bin/nvim
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

$ echo $EDITOR
Returns an empty line for me. I've never set this variable and wouldn't know how, which I'm pretty sure is the case for most Ubuntu users.

sudo -e FILENAME opens the file in nano Image

I'm a GUI guy, I use the terminal only when I *have* to. A terminal-based text editor is a no-go for me.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote:

$ echo $EDITOR
Returns an empty line for me. I've never set this variable and wouldn't know how, which I'm pretty sure is the case for most Ubuntu users.

sudo -e FILENAME opens the file in nano Image

I'm a GUI guy, I use the terminal only when I *have* to. A terminal-based text editor is a no-go for me.
By default Ubuntu uses nano, yeah; it's vi(m) in Centos and Arch, I believe. You can set it by, for example,

echo "export EDITOR=vim" >> ~/.bashrc
But if you're a GUI guy and not a fan of nano I doubt vim would be any preferable :D this is more of an aside for people who prefer to do things in the command line.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.