FreeCAD 0.17 Daily build for Ubuntu 15.10 is old

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BHornung

FreeCAD 0.17 Daily build for Ubuntu 15.10 is old

Post by BHornung »

Hey guys,

I wanted to install the latest build of FC 0.17 on Ubuntu 15.10 following the instructions on the Wiki 'Download' page. Unfortunately, the PPA contains only quite an old build (currently from 9 weeks ago).
  • Does anyone know why this is the case?
  • Will it be fixed any time soon?
Thanks!
Bernhard
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.17 Daily build for Ubuntu 15.10 is old

Post by kkremitzki »

You know 15.10 EOL was 8 months ago and it isn't receiving security updates anymore, right? Sorry to not answer your question directly but I just wanted to ask...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Does anyone know why this is the case?
Because the support of Ubuntu 15.10 officially ended in July 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(o ... )#Releases
Will it be fixed any time soon?
I am not sure if it's still possible to trigger the build process for a package of an expired Ubuntu version because it requires a lot of other packages to do so and Launchpad for sure won't offer them forever. So, I think it's best to take into account to upgrade your Ubuntu version.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote:I am not sure if it's still possible to trigger the build process for a package of an expired Ubuntu version
It usually remains possible for a while.

I just checked the PPA, and it does not seem possible for 15.10 anymore.

Bernhard, regular Ubuntu versions are only maintained for 9 months by Canonical. If you are unwilling to upgrade your Ubuntu system every 9 months, then you should stick to LTS releases.