freecad-daily, error : File format not supported: 0.17

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: freecad-daily, error : File format not supported: 0.17

Post by NormandC »

Granted the wiki should be updated.

But this comment annoys me: :evil:
Mika38 wrote:There is no explanation of what a PPA is.
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/Install_on_ ... ily.22_PPA

Did you bother to click on the What are PPAs and how do I use them? link?

Is it our wiki's job to explain all the operating systems functions that FreeCAD is available on? Can't we assume the user is able to do a simple search in Google to find out the details about his system or some acronym? Do we absolutely need to take his/her hand every step of the way?
Mika38

Re: freecad-daily, error : File format not supported: 0.17

Post by Mika38 »

NormandC wrote: But this comment annoys me: :evil:
Mika38 wrote:There is no explanation of what a PPA is.
Did you bother to click on the What are PPAs and how do I use them? link?
Yes, I did click on this link. I'm sorry, I forgot this link went I wrote my last comment.

NormandC wrote:Is it our wiki's job to explain all the operating systems functions that FreeCAD is available on?
In first thought, I think we should explain the OS functions which are related to FreeCAD. Of couse, we should not explain all of them. In my opinion, a function in FreeCAD is fully implement when, a user can access it, understand it and use it without any prior knowledge. but to be sure, I made some research, I looked at the documentation of Inkscape, Gimp and Firefox and the three are giving a link to the documentation and don't explain in detail what a PPA is. So you are right, we should not overextend the purpose of the wiki.
NormandC wrote:Can't we assume the user is able to do a simple search in Google to find out the details about his system or some acronym?
On this one, I think the answer is no. The user come to the wiki to have all the information necessary to install the program. We can not rely on other website to explain something all the linux user of FreeCAD have to face. Example of result on the research "what is a PPA" :http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/PPA. The use of an acronym without any explanations is elitist, in my opinion. Firefox doc, for instance, don't use the acronym PPA. (link : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion)
NormandC wrote:Do we absolutely need to take his/her hand every step of the way?
As the others question I still have a doubt, on this one I sure. We need to explain every single step of the way to install the program. We need to fragment each step and explain each click. We need to carry the basic user by the hand, reassure him is doing the right thing at every single step. We are talking about the installation here, not a additional feature of the software. This page will be the first impression of the documentation of the program. If we fail to make it easy enough for the user, he will probably just turn is back on FreeCAD. Thereby, we will lose a chance to grow our user base.
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)