Is there a recent compiled version of 0.17 for Windows?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mouse

Is there a recent compiled version of 0.17 for Windows?

Post by mouse »

Just checking, sorry if I missed something but the last posted compiled Windows version seems to be April 2016, here.

I understand there may not be a more recent version as dev is in linux, but wold like to know if there is, or if anyone has a reasonably stable one they have compiled themselves.

If no more recent version can you tell me if 0.17 release is quite close? I am currently trying to choose a CAD program for architectural use, and love the simple powerful way that FreeCAD works, but think I would benefit from some of the additions in 0.17.

Kind regards

Mouse
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Is there a recent compiled version of 0.17 for Windows?

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
GitHub is misleading in that it lists the date 0.17 builds started to be published (which happened around the time 0.16 was released). Look at revision numbers in file names of the downloads instead. There are downloads that are very recent.
mouse

Post by mouse »

DeepSOIC wrote:Hi!
GitHub is misleading in that it lists the date 0.17 builds started to be published (which happened around the time 0.16 was released). Look at revision numbers in file names of the downloads instead. There are downloads that are very recent.
Thanks I thought it might be something like that.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Unpacked and running.

Anything I need to do to installed fully?

(Windows in arch seemingly not behaving correctly - showing outlines only - so I am wondering if I needed to set a path or something)

Kind regards

Mouse
mouse

Post by mouse »

mouse wrote:
Unpacked and running.

Anything I need to do to installed fully?

(Windows in arch seemingly not behaving correctly - showing outlines only - so I am wondering if I needed to set a path or something)

Kind regards

Mouse
Seems to be working OK now, but please do say if I need to set a path or anything........
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You run it directly from the \bin\FreeCAD.exe executable.

Since these are development builds, no "proper installer" is provided. I'm guessing that it's to save some time, since they are produced quite often.

It's your choice to create a shortcut to the executable somewhere else.

@ sgrogan: this is at least the second time someone is confused by the published date. Maybe the description should be amended.

I suggest adding this to the first sentence:
The Downloads are Win and OSX binary developer builds (no compiling necessary) from the FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle. They are updated regularly.
mouse

Post by mouse »

NormandC wrote:You run it directly from the \bin\FreeCAD.exe executable.

Since these are development builds, no "proper installer" is provided. I'm guessing that it's to save some time, since they are produced quite often.

It's your choice to create a shortcut to the executable somewhere else.

@ sgrogan: this is at least the second time someone is confused by the published date. Maybe the description should be amended.

I suggest adding this to the first sentence:
The Downloads are Win and OSX binary developer builds (no compiling necessary) from the FreeCAD 0.17 development cycle. They are updated regularly.
Thanks very much, as you say it seems to be working fine. Maybe also it should say 'despite the date of the post to which they are appended'. Possibly two sentences to say you can just unpack and run. People may think they have to install python separately or something.