Is there a comfortable way to install freecad-daily on MacOS

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Is there a comfortable way to install freecad-daily on MacOS

Post by chrisb »

Is there a possibility to automate the (re-)installation of the daily MacOS version? Since the subversion number is included in the filename it is impossible to download it automatically.
Currently I delete the old version, visit the website, download the new version, open the dmg-file, save it in an appropriate place and rename it.
With the additional clicking for changing screens, showing the desktop, selecting console etc. there are too many steps for me to update it daily, but now with the new QT5 version out I would like to do so.
If there is the possibility to include symbolic links on github it would be great if the latest version was available at always the same name; and if it could be available as a tgz it be even better (for me).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ian.rees

Re: Is there a comfortable way to install freecad-daily on MacOS

Post by ian.rees »

The easiest method to get the latest-and-greatest is probably to have homebrew build it from source. We're just about to switch over to Qt5 builds by default, currently the below will get you a Qt4 build, but stay tuned.

Code: Select all

brew tap freecad/freecad
brew install --HEAD freecad
then to update:

brew reinstall --HEAD freecad
More at https://github.com/FreeCAD/homebrew-freecad -Ian-
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the hint, I didn't think of this most basic solution, but was rather pondering on optimizing the download procedure of the ready made version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

No worries, it's easy to do that :). I haven't had a chance to upgrade my own machine yet, but it looks like Bruce got the homebrew-freecad moved over to Qt5 this morning. -Ian-
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

It's seeing topics like that that makes me realize we are really lucky to have such things as PPA repositories on Ubuntu. With the host system's update manager set to push updates daily, I get FreeCAD updates automatically, I only need to approve them.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I use Ubuntu too, and the ease of use there made me ask that question.
tvargasn

Post by tvargasn »

Hi, I'm a newbie on this themes about compiling from source. I have followed this steps:

brew tap freecad/freecad
brew install --HEAD freecad
So the terminal install all dependency packages, but I don't see FreeCAD in Launchpad. Where is FreeCAD binary? or I need to do some other steps?

Thanks for the help and excuse my english.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Ahh, sorry, I forgot to mention above that there's a bug somewhere between Homebrew and our FreeCAD formula at the moment: dependencies aren't all installed on the first try.

You might need to run the "brew install" line twice, then you should end up with a FreeCAD.app in /usr/local (or perhaps it'll be in /usr/local/cellar/freecad/HEAD-someversion - I'm currently testing on a slow VM, will edit this when it's done).

Edit: There's something broken in the app bundle creation when it's run from within Homebrew, but I'm not in a position to sort it out just yet. In the meantime, the CompileOnMac wiki page has instructions to use Homebrew for fetching the prerequisites (as you've done), then building from source outside Homebrew. That process will produce a FreeCAD.app application bundle in /usr/local by default.

But first! I just made a couple changes to the freecad formula, so do a "brew update" before trying again. It'll take a while to build the first time, the formula currently builds only on one core (gives better debug info, you might notice we're right in the middle of some changes ;) ). -Ian-