How to get the source code of ver. 0.17 old build

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gkarousis

How to get the source code of ver. 0.17 old build

Post by gkarousis »

Hello,

I have made a lot of work by using FreeCAD 0.17 with a build released on 15 to 30 November 2016 (I don't remember the exact build number).
Few days ago I updated the version and now my work is loaded but the parts has been broken.

Is there any way to retrieve my work?
I'm thinking that a solution is to compile the source code of one of the builds released on 15 to 30 November 2016, but how can I get the source?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: How to get the source code of ver. 0.17 old build

Post by sgrogan »

gkarousis wrote:Can anyone help me?
If you are using git.
determine the git hash of what was working. Search the commits in your date range to determine this https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/commits/master.
Then from a shell in the git source directory:
"git checkout hash" (substitude the actual hash) this will put you in a detached HEAD state and you can compile FreeCAD from there.
gkarousis wrote:Few days ago I updated the version and now my work is loaded but the parts has been broken.
It may be more productive to find out what has gone wrong.
"fight the good fight"
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

gkarousis wrote:I have made a lot of work by using FreeCAD 0.17 with a build released on 15 to 30 November 2016 (I don't remember the exact build number).Few days ago I updated the version and now my work is loaded but the parts has been broken.
Hi! This may be too involved, but you can edit FCStd file to upgrade them to new format.

FCStd is a zip. Open it with your archiver program, and you'll see its contents. Extract everything into a folder. Open Document.xml. There, you will find objects and values of their properties.

You need to open a sample project of old format, a sample of new format, and then port your projects manually.

What exactly are your projects about? Most likely your project contained Parts and Bodies. Because that's the stuff that was changed seriously, and thus your projects went bust. But there may have been something else...

When you are done with porting xml, re-pack the project with "Project Utility", which is in FreeCAD, under Tools menu.

Eventually I may get into writing up a converter, because I have a fair number of broken projects myself, and I'd like to recover some of them (this one in particular)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

If your project is important, why are you even using the development version?

We have not been shy in warning everybody time after time after time after time that they could lose work since the changes in PartDesign are still ongoing.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I would suspect the breaking change was th eport of body to extensions. Hence the old "Model" property was changed to "Group". In the XML fiels it would be enough to rename all occurances of Model to Group.

Not ethat you can also try to drag'drop the feature back into the body, but that is rather error prone and annoying.
gkarousis

Post by gkarousis »

Hi to all of you,

First of all I want to thank you for your response.

I applied the suggestion of sgrogan on the code of Nov 28, 2016 and I retrieved my projects again.

NormandC, you are right and after this painful experience I' m thinking that it could be a temporary solution, before the acceptance of updates, to keep in safe place the build files of the used version.

DeepSOIC and ickby, next step is to adapt the projects in current version. I will try your suggestions.

Thanks again.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

You have not mentioned your operating system. If you are using Windows or Mac OS X, it's easy enough to keep the snapshot. If you're using the freecad-daily PPA on Ubuntu, there's also a way: all the packages installed by the system are archived for some time in /var/cache/apt/archives.
gkarousis

Post by gkarousis »

Hi,

I'm using the freecad-daily PPA on Ubuntu 16.04. It is exactly the case.

Thank you.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Check out FCTeleport I just wrote! It should be able to repair your projects!
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21674