Which version of FreeCAD for OS X El Captitan

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nowind

Which version of FreeCAD for OS X El Captitan

Post by nowind »

I have loaded the latest stable of version (FreeCAD 0.16)

It loaded, it opens, and seems to be very functional. However, there are some font issues that have been cropping up in the interface. It is especially noticeable in the contextual menus. I can work around this with cheat sheets, guessing, and using the menu bar. In fact that is what I have been doing.

However, it would be nice to experience a normal user experience. The font issue seems to be similar to those I have experienced with web sites that use web based fonts that aren't immediately available. So, the questions are...

1) Is there a font I should have installed on my system that will make this go away?
2) Is there perhaps a setting I have missed somewhere along the line?
3) If not, should I be using a more recent (although less proven) version of FreeCAD for El Capitan? Which one?

I spent a few hours looking through the forum trying to see if this issue was addressed. My apologies if I am repeating a question here!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16.6706
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Info about Bug.jpg
Info about Bug.jpg (378.79 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
ian.rees

Re: Which version of FreeCAD for OS X El Captitan

Post by ian.rees »

Hi nowind,

That's a new one to me, I'm guessing you've changed some fonts/settings/?? on your system from default? What language is your MacOS set to use?

The development versions of FreeCAD have a lot of improvements over 0.16 - I don't know of any specific ones that will help with what you're seeing, but do think you should try the development Qt5 version to confirm that your issue still exists there. -Ian-
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Which version of FreeCAD for OS X El Captitan

Post by chrisb »

I use El Capitan, Version 10.11.5, FreeCAD exactly the same version as your's. I didn't install any fonts or any other thing special, FreeCAD worked out of the box.
You can try to delete your config files as described here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 15#p151588.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.