Linux package maintainers: How to improve maintenance of FreeCAD packages?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
wmayer
Site Admin

Re: Linux package maintainers: How to improve maintenance of FreeCAD packages?

Postby wmayer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't mind to invest some time to try and fix some of the issues with the CMakeLists, but I would like to know up front if these changes would be accepted. It'll take a bit of time and I'd hate to see that wasted

As long as FreeCAD still works correctly by running only cmake and make without a make install and without the need to override any CMAKE_INSTALL_* variables I don't see a problem.

FYI, when self-compiling FreeCAD then it was always sufficient to run cmake once (where you maybe have to switch on/off certain modules and paths for 3rd party libs) and then after running make you could directly start the application without doing a make install first.
simonvanderveldt

Re: Linux package maintainers: How to improve maintenance of FreeCAD packages?

Postby simonvanderveldt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:19 pm

wmayer wrote:
I don't mind to invest some time to try and fix some of the issues with the CMakeLists, but I would like to know up front if these changes would be accepted. It'll take a bit of time and I'd hate to see that wasted

As long as FreeCAD still works correctly by running only cmake and make without a make install and without the need to override any CMAKE_INSTALL_* variables I don't see a problem.

FYI, when self-compiling FreeCAD then it was always sufficient to run cmake once (where you maybe have to switch on/off certain modules and paths for 3rd party libs) and then after running make you could directly start the application without doing a make install first.

I'll make sure the copy during build to the CMAKE_BINARY_DIR keeps working.
Actually I expect almost all of the changes to be separate from the copy during build by default since they only impact the INSTALL step.