Can't change any of the part's size properties

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
arina007

Can't change any of the part's size properties

Post by arina007 »

Hi, I´ve tried desperately to properly install the FreecCAD Version 0.9, 0.12 or 0.13 on my laptop. The installation process works fine BUT when I open any of these FreeCAD versions and create a part - i.e. a cylinder - I CAN`T CHANGE ANY OF THE PART´S SIZE PROPERTIES AFTER CREATING THE PART!

Whether it is the radius, width, length or placement of the part, every time I click into one of these values under the part properties the value of number immediately sets itself to "00.00 mm" and then can´t be changed anymore. Oddly enough, the part´s angle parameter is not affected by this and can be changed anytime.

I installed the program on another computer (also Windows 7, 64 bit) and everything worked just fine. But I need the program on my laptop to be able to work with it!

Here are two things that MIGHT help finding the solution:
- when I start Freecad 0.13 I get the error message "pycollada not found no collada support".
- I recently installed the WAMPP Server on my computer and since that I can´t open Photoshop 6.0 anymore (admittingly a stone age version of Photoshop ;-) only the even older Photohop 5.5 still works.

I´d be the happiest person on this planet if you could help me getting this fantastic program run on my laptop! Chris
pperisin

Re: CAN`T CHANGE ANY OF THE PART´S SIZE PROPERTIES

Post by pperisin »

Hi,

go to control panel - clock, language and region - region settings.

After that click on "Additional settings"

in this dialog make sure you do not have same symbol for digit grouping and decimal separator.

Regards
Petar
Last edited by pperisin on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ah, excellent Petar, finally a definitive, easy and visual solution for that problem! I'll post it on the FAQ!
arina007

Post by arina007 »

Hi Petar, thank you so much for your extremely fast response within 20 minutes (!!!), your great screenshots to describe the solution and best of all THANK YOU FOR SOLVING MY PROBLEM, you´ve made my day! I´m a big open source software fan, and after using a help forum for the first time and getting such great support here, I´m a even bigger fan now!
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

No problem.

I was actually also having this problem, that is why I have known the answer.
PCB Tools I use sometimes has issues with comma as decimal separator, so I had them the same also.

Regards
Petar
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm glad your problem was solved, but please refrain from using all caps. It's like shouting on the Internet, it's bad form.

Now that we know it was not an install problem this should probably go into the Help about FreeCAD forum so it can be found in it if someone makes a search. Yorik, in the moderator panel, I can see the split and merge topic options, but I don't see an option to move a whole topic from one forum to another?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

In the moderator panel, you must be on the "view forum" tab, there you can mark threads to be moved...
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Can't change any of the part's size properties

Post by NormandC »

Done, thanks Yorik. :)