FreeCAD on Debian Lenny

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
midgetfc

FreeCAD on Debian Lenny

Post by midgetfc »

Hello,
I'm trying to get FreeCAD running on a plain Debian Lenny.(R2109 from svn)
OpenCascade 6.2.0-7 was compiled from the packages at lyre.mit.edu/~powell/.
Everything went smooth, with the exception of the libboost-dev packages which needed to be upgraded to version 1.35.0 instead of the default 1.34.1 Lenny version, but were available.
Install is OK, but I get an error when executing:
/usr/lib/libhighgui.so.1: undefined symbol: img_convert
just before main window pops-up.
It prevents loading of some workbenches like the complete one.
I could'nt find any reference to "img_convert" in FreeCAD sources
Because my computer is shared, I must stick with Lenny and I'm not skillfull enough to figure how.
Do you think it's wiser to upgrade libhighgui-dev (and some other opencv libs) to the testing version on a lib by lib basis or is it too big a risk to run into trouble in the future, if I want to track the fast evolving svn code ?
Any advice ?
Thanks in advance, and "chapeau bas" for the huge work already don on this project.
yorik
Founder

Re: FreeCAD on Debian Lenny

Post by yorik »

This is strange, because the version of libhighgui available on lenny (1.0.0.6) is the same as I use on squeeze... I think libhighgui is at version1 since a long time. Are you sure libhighgui1 is installed?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

And what about the package libcv-dev? I think this package has the dependencies to all other required packages like highgui and so on.

The problem is simply that not all needed library are available on your system. Then when starting FreeCAD the loading of the Image workbench fails and with it the Complete workbench because of unresolved symbols.
Upgrading is IMHO not needed any may cause some future problems. I have running several Ubuntus, Debian Lenny and Debian Squeeze as virtual machines and all of them work fine.

To get unresolved symbols already at compile time you can run ./configure LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs"
midgetfc

Post by midgetfc »

Hello, and thanks for your fast responses.
I've found what the problem was, and post in case some other FreeCAD beginner encounters it.
It's a known bug (debian bts n°487638, 490700 and 493915) only affecting users of debian-multimedia packages (marillat). The offending img_convert function has been obsoleted in libavcodec51 (ffmpeg) and remplaced by the function named sws_scale, which broke the packages depending on it. The official Debian libavcodec has been patched to support this change, but unfortunately the unofficial debian-multimedia was not. As Yorik quoted, opencv version did not change recently, and libhighgui1 still calls the img_convert function.
So, two possibilities:
a) get rid of debian-multimedia packages and back to official ffmpeg, with it's limitations dues to licences problems
b) keep debian-multimedia packages and patch libhighgui1 (and use this until a future upstream version which corrects this problem enters Debian Lenny). The indications can be found at: http://wiki.nuigroup.com/Installing_Mul ... bian_Lenny
I've tried b) case and hurray!, no more error.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

How strange, I also use ffmpeg from debian multimedia repository... (How could someone live with a stripped-down ffmpeg!) and I haven't had that problem... Maybe the testing version is a bit different... Anyway, glad you could solve! Thanks for writing that info here.
Yorik