New Mac OS X build! 0.14.3052

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
peterl94
Veteran

Re: New Mac OS X build! 0.14.3052

Post by peterl94 »

nemesis

Post by nemesis »

last build work out of the box for me!
thank you peterl94!!
kunda

Post by kunda »

Homebrew folks are trying to understand the versioning system of Freecad. Here is a thread (https://github.com/phinze/homebrew-cask/issues/3654) from the Homebrew Github bugtracker discussing this issue. This is specifically for the OSX build

EDIT: Requesting from someone to post on the above github thread some details to help the Homebrew Cask devs understand what's going on with the freeCAD versioning system. Is there also a way to intertwine OSX experimental builds with homebrew so that when a new build is created there is a pull request made to the homebrew Cask repo Freecad fromula?
kunda

Post by kunda »

@peterl94 you could also ask for more admin privs on SF as another option per this thread coment: https://github.com/phinze/homebrew-cask ... t-41436788
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Well, I was thinking users can do

Code: Select all

brew tap peterl94/freecad_cask
just as easily as

Code: Select all

brew tap FreeCAD/freecad_cask
Or if you're talking about updating the latest build link on sourceforge, I just checked, and I am able to do that.
kunda

Post by kunda »

@Peterl94 your own repo would be ideal. Not sure what the Caskroom devs will say to that. they may bump this forumula to an homebrew cask unofficial repo because it would be hard for them to follow the freecad project for any changes in leadership/volunteer-efforts. Lets see what they say.
kunda

Post by kunda »

> if you're talking about updating the latest build link on sourceforge, I just checked, and I am able to do that.

@peterl94 this is good news! so you do have correct admin rights.
Questions:
[*]So the forumula URL can stay generic? http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-ca ... urce=files right? Answer: wrong. just found out that this changes whenever something gets uploaded to SF
Does SF have a URL that will trigger for the latest file in a directory instead of the whole project?
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

kunda wrote:Does SF have a URL that will trigger for the latest file in a directory instead of the whole project?
Unfortunately no, not that I know of. If SF allowed anonymous ftp, it could be done with a script, but I don't think it does.
DaveGadgeteer

Post by DaveGadgeteer »

I've just tried to install the new build on Mac OS X.9.2
Its Help doesn't work because there's no qt assistant.
Downloaded QT and installed, ENORMOUS 6GB folder created, and looks like a development system, not the simple qt reader FreeCAD needs.
And it didn't solve FreeCAD's problem, still no Help. About FreeCAD shows a window with microscopic text, but you can copy it to clipboard to read it. Pasting it here:
Platform: 64-bit
Version: 0.14.3402 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: dc0bbee020a72a0ad1f868527c7af6a4cb06184e
Python version: 2.7.5
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.7.0

So what's the status of FreeCAD on Mac now? Last I saw it was permanently broken, due to a bug that Apple won't fix:
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-8647

I guess if I already knew FreeCAD I could use it without Help, but as a newbie that seems too high a barrier.

Has anyone really gotten FreeCAD to work on a recent Mac, Help and all?? Has someone written down a procedure to get it working?
Obviously, there's recent development activity, based on these posts, but perhaps only experts use it?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Dave
DaveGadgeteer wrote:I guess if I already knew FreeCAD I could use it without Help, but as a newbie that seems too high a barrier.
No, not at all, even when I was a newbie I almost never looked at the help stuff... :) ..for two reasons

firstly its all available on line, you can just read the wiki, its the same help information, the local help is just a "snap shot in time" copy of the on line stuff and will usually (by definition) be out of date when compared to the on line stuff which can be constantly updated.

Secondly because once you understand the basics, it suddenly becomes intuitive and a quick bit of trial and error soon shows how things work..

Also there are tool tips that pop-up when you hold the mouse over a tool, which usually contain the basic information that you may need reminding of...e.g. things like modifier keys from Draft tools and the like...

The only reason you could really want the help stuff is if you want help when not connected to the Internet, other wise you are far better off looking at the on-line stuff.

There are heaps of YouTube videos on-line, there are many other good ones, but recently I think you will find Bejant and quick61 have posted many up to date technically correct videos....

Jim