New Mac OS X build! 0.14.3052

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: New Mac OS X build! 0.14.3052

Post by jmaustpc »

this is the FreeCAD home page
http://freecadweb.org/

if you click on "documentation" it will take you to the wiki here
http://freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

If you want to know about a specific tool e.g. "Loft" then enter "Loft" in the search box and you will soon find it.

:-)

Jim
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Hi DaveGadgeteer,

I intentionally did not include the offline help with these builds, since it saves space. When 0.14 is actually released (it should be pretty soon) I'll do a complete build.
DaveGadgeteer wrote:So what's the status of FreeCAD on Mac now? Last I saw it was permanently broken, due to a bug that Apple won't fix
I wouldn't call it "broken." That bug just causes a couple minor annoyances (minor to me anyway). The MDI view problem is still there, but I think it can be easily worked around by first cascading the windows, then minimizing the 3d windows, and then maximizing the non 3d view. The other problem is that toolbar expansion gets clipped by the 3d view, so if there are more tools than can fit across the tool bar you will have to drag one of the toolbars to a new line. Other then those problems, you can use FreeCAD for real work quite happily.

As for the "microscopic" text can you post a screenshot?
DaveGadgeteer

Post by DaveGadgeteer »

I guess "microscopic" is an exaggeration, but I wasn't able to read it before I knew what it said.
Thanks, all, for encouraging me to try again to use FreeCAD! I do so want it to work...
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 22.08.00.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 22.08.00.png (184.77 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

That's strange, the text is anti-aliased on on my computer which makes it much more readable...I'm not sure why it isn't on yours. But anyway, I agree that the text is too small. I'll look into it.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

peterl94 wrote:That's strange, the text is anti-aliased on on my computer which makes it much more readable...I'm not sure why it isn't on yours. But anyway, I agree that the text is too small. I'll look into it.
You'll find it in AboutApplication.ui. For the copyright notice and the system information we use Rich Text and use the word "Unknown" as placeholder. Then in Splashscreen.cpp inside AboutDialog::setupLabels() "Unknown" is replaced with the actual information.

I don't know why it appears so small on Mac OS X. On my Ubuntu and Windows machines the text appears big enough. So, you can try to remove "font-size:8pt;" from the Rich Text. I tested it on Windows and the text doesn't appear smaller.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Thank you, Werner. The only problems is that the default font size on Mac is a little too big, and so it stretches the dialog. A quick google search revealed that the font size problem is due to a difference in DPI -- 96 on Windows and 72 on Mac.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

peterl94 wrote:A quick google search revealed that the font size problem is due to a difference in DPI -- 96 on Windows and 72 on Mac.
I find that odd, because 72dpi was the default size for CRT displays. It's been ages since computer screens have had this low of a pixel density.

And Macs now come with Retina displays which have a very high pixel density. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retina_display
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Yes, but those numbers are "logical" size not physical pixel density.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Logical? How logical is it to set a value that has no relation to anything but obsolete hardware? ;)
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

:D

@wmayer, I can think of two ways to solve the problem, either one would be wrapped by an ifdef:
1. Use a stylesheet for the dialog. (To avoid overriding user stylesheets, it would only use a stylesheet if no application wide stylesheet was set.)
2. Set a QFont for each label widget

Which one do you think would be better?