Installation on FEDORA 10

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jammesh

Installation on FEDORA 10

Post by jammesh »

Hi all,
I got trying to install FreeCAD since a year and a half; first time on mandriva 9 then mandriva 10 and finally Fedora 10.
After I've installed all libs asked for (boost, opencascade, opencv....etc), configuration went without problem and I performed make and make install. Running FreeCAD executable file in /bin returned "segmentation fault" error message. If some can give me a tip or at least can give a complete tree of /FreeCAD, so I could check out if something is missing in my compilation.
Thanks all
wmayer
Founder

Re: Installation on FEDORA 10

Post by wmayer »

Hi,

in order to help you fixing the crash you must give us some more information. If you start FreeCAD with gdb at which point e.g. does the crash occur? Another important information is on what depends your SoQt package -- on Qt3 or Qt4?

Cheers,
Werner
jammesh

Post by jammesh »

Hi wmayer,
First, I thank you for your rapid response. Once I read it, I checked out depency of SoQt and I found it's Qt3.3.
After that, I ran FreeCAD with gdb, I got some messages I can't retrieve now. Cause a power
shortage, in my area, made internet connection not available. Now, I'm using a friend PC to contact you and
tell as soon as my problem is fixed, I'll post further details.
Thanks again. ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Hi,
Once I read it, I checked out depency of SoQt and I found it's Qt3.3.
That's the problem. You MUST have an SoQt package that depends on Qt4. Check the package database of Fedora if this is available. If not you must build it yourself.

To do so get the sources from www.coin3d.org and unpack it. Then start ./configure --help which shows you all options. There must be somewhere a switch to specifiy the path to your Qt4 installation. Maybe as prefix you can choose your home directory so as not to touch your existing SoQt installation.

Then you must rebuild FreeCAD. Therefore you must use the switch "--with-soqt=DIR" when running ./configure to specify the location of the new SoQt.

Cheers,
Werner

Post by Guest »

Hi Wmayer,
I did so about SoQt, cause configure script checks out for Qt V. >= 4.x, in Fedora it's 3.? (I don't remember :? ); so I added flags pointing to Qt4 inc and libs folders (Idownloadded Qt4 fromTrolltech and installed it in /opt folder). I think at runtime application calls libs under standard location. By the way, I'm on holliday for two weeks and have'nt my computer ith me. So I can't give you enough and accurate details of my compilation.
Thanks a lot and have good summer time.