The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efyx

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by efyx »

[quote="wandererfan"][/quote]
Thanks for update. I know it a huge work you are doing - thanks a lot. Below, few my observations:
1) Autodistribution - good to have a choice to unlock each view from that and positioning it anywhere - There was a talk, but I don't know what with that happened. I just don't wan't to forget about that.
2) Good to have option to change accuracy of dimension in combobox - places after comma for each dimension. Sometimes usefull.
3) Disapearing line in dimension when I took value outside arrows - I think it should be still visible, at least could to have option to dissapear it.
4) Maybe if you off blockade to select only one part for view, will able option to display more of them - without using mux thing?

and my personal favourites:
5) Circle on detail ;)
6) Welding symbols.

Having that it would be compleat fine enough IMHO to create most of drawings.

Great work anyway.

Edit: 7) There should be way to put additional point on drawing to which I could put dimension - for example when I have slot for dimensionig, there is no way to put distance between outlines of circles (o/a width dimension) in view from top.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote: 1) Autodistribution - good to have a choice to unlock each view from that and positioning it anywhere - There was a talk, but I don't know what with that happened. I just don't wan't to forget about that.
2) Good to have option to change accuracy of dimension in combobox - places after comma for each dimension. Sometimes usefull.
3) Disapearing line in dimension when I took value outside arrows - I think it should be still visible, at least could to have option to dissapear it.
4) Maybe if you off blockade to select only one part for view, will able option to display more of them - without using mux thing?
5) Circle on detail ;)
6) Welding symbols.
7) There should be way to put additional point on drawing to which I could put dimension - for example when I have slot for dimensionig, there is no way to put distance between outlines of circles (o/a width dimension) in view from top.
Thanks for the kind words.
1) you should have a choice now for auto-distribute - on/off.
2) I seem to recall that you're supposed to use the same number of decimals for all measurements on a page. But it's been a long time since my drawings had to please anybody but me!
3) This is apparently a ISO vs ANSI thing. I could do a hack for now, but in the future we should probably be able to select from any "well known" standard. Maybe even "not so well known".
4) code could decide to use multiView if >1 part selected, I guess. Still have to know if there is >1 part internally.
5) this sounds familiar. :lol: soon. really.
6) I haven't given this one much thought, but can't you use the ones from DrawingDimensioning and TechDraw_Symbol?
7) This is on the list, but I really haven't given it much thought yet.

wf
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wandererfan wrote:2) I seem to recall that you're supposed to use the same number of decimals for all measurements on a page. But it's been a long time since my drawings had to please anybody but me!
Often in the title block there are default tolerance for one, two etc decimal places. I use this simple workaround https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p148397
wandererfan wrote:5) this sounds familiar. :lol: soon. really.
So I will "pile on"
wandererfan wrote:6) I haven't given this one much thought, but can't you use the ones from DrawingDimensioning and TechDraw_Symbol?
Maybe just a custom leader?
"fight the good fight"
efyx

Post by efyx »

wandererfan wrote:
Hi, two new issues :).

When I insert multiple views, first press up arrow, then I get bottom and front (and back) view the same (see picture).
2nd thing on the detail view, I got wrong dimensions.
techdraw issues.png
techdraw issues.png (30.3 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
PS. is there any other way to call person on this forum? (I am using quotes)
Last edited by efyx on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

efyx wrote:
wandererfan wrote:
Hi, two new issues :).

When I insert multiple views, first press up arrow, then I get bottom and front (and back) view the same (see picture).
techdraw issues.png

PS. is there any other way to call person on this forum? (I am using quotes)
Could you add your model?

Regarding the "wrong dimensions"... You try to put dimensions on lines which were trimmed for the detailed view. Try to put a dimension between the two openings and you will see that it works.

Looks like your try to quote wandererfar did not work because you removed all quoted text.
You can send private messages.
BR Howil
efyx

Post by efyx »

HoWil wrote:because you removed all quoted text
Corrected.
HoWil wrote:Could you add your model?
Not needed. It happens all the time - try to put cylinder. Then multiple views. First press arrow up, then mark boxes (top and bottom view).

About wrong dimensioning, I made it deliberately. It cannot be like that it is changing dimension IMO. Arrow line should be broken from one side, but the dimension should be right.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote:When I insert multiple views, first press up arrow, then I get bottom and front (and back) view the same (see picture).
There's a giant table to decide which views go where when the arrows are pressed. I was pretty sure there were still a few errors in it. Guess I was right.

I didn't know this, but upon reflection it makes sense. Dimensions don't know about "Base views". This will take some thought.

Thanks for the report.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

wandererfan wrote:

I didn't know this, but upon reflection it makes sense. Dimensions don't know about "Base views". This will take some thought.
I would think the base object (I mean part/... not programically) is the same... it should get it's dimensions from that, isn't it?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Jee-Bee wrote:I would think the base object (I mean part/... not programically) is the same... it should get it's dimensions from that, isn't it?
"True" dimensions come from 3D object, "Projected" dimensions come from 2D object. You could link the Projected (erroneous) dimension in detail to the actual 3D edge using TechDraw_Dimension_Link.

There's no way of telling which edge in the projection corresponds to a given 3D edge without manual intervention.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello wandererfan,

In another (old) topic I noticed issues with projections of a spring shape solid. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p167103

I created a new file (attached) to display the issue. What I found odd is that the new model doesn't show the same issues as ulrich1a's original model made in 2015.
Third Angle Projection, default primary projection
Third Angle Projection, default primary projection
FC017_TechDraw_Helix_projection_01.png (18.06 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
If I rotate the primary projection left, the top projection remains unchanged, which is another bug.
Third Angle Projection, primary projection rotated left; the top projection should reflect the primary rotation but doesn't.
Third Angle Projection, primary projection rotated left; the top projection should reflect the primary rotation but doesn't.
FC017_TechDraw_Helix_projection_02.png (22.38 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Furthermore, the Drawing Workbench seems to generate almost perfect projections.
Third Angle Projection from the Drawing workbench.
Third Angle Projection from the Drawing workbench.
FC017_Drawing_Helix_Projection_01.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10611 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 44a9ecd25f27ec3efe52c9de9c95ef2b3e19dd17
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Attachments