Sketchfab exporter

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Sketchfab exporter

Post by yorik »

I have been working on a sketchfab exporter for FreeCAD:
Screenshot from 2017-03-09 15-50-04.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-09 15-50-04.png (84.18 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
The discussion thread on the sketchfab forum is here: https://forum.sketchfab.com/t/freecad-exporter/12903/2
and the branch: https://github.com/yorikvanhavre/FreeCAD/tree/sketchfab

There are still small glitches to solve but it is working already.

The idea would be to add this to the web workbench, it's a rather small script. Only it would *kind of* show inside FreeCAD a commercial product. I know that the most radicals here will probably complain, but the sketchbab people are cool, many of them are from the Blender community, and many other open-source apps (Blender for example) also have a built-in sketchfab exporter. Although sketchfab is not really an opensource thing, I think it is very opensource-friendly, so I don't see why not.

Ideas, opinions?
regis

Re: Sketchfab exporter

Post by regis »

Oh wow, :o I remember trying to export my stuff to sketch fab using the .obj or any file compatible with sketchfab, I got frustrated to realise I had to play with the textures once again or at the very least have the base colors of freecad in. This exporter can be great. :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The exporter has been merged in master now (it is in the Web workbench), and it now offers to upload as .iv, which actually uploads what you see in the 3D view, thus renders on sketchfab a pretty accurate version of the FreeCAD view:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (86.97 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
https://sketchfab.com/models/25cfcc0eae ... c1929d31ca

There might still be some bugs here and there, specially with the iv format. obj + mtl works better. I'll announce the feature later on after I do more testing.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

just wanted to try the sketch-fab exporter. But I can't find it in the web-module.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ah I forgot to announce this here, sorry... Since the sketchfab exporter (and other tools fromthe Arch WB such as Arch Git and Arch Bimserver) depend on external python modules that are annoying to bundle with freecad, I recently removed them from the FreeCAD source code, and turned them into an external workbench, where it is much easier to bundle other stuff (the requests module, for ex).

So now you need to install the "WebTools" workbench from the addons manager. The sketchfab exporter now lives there.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

wow this was a good experience:
needed 2 minutes to
- get the web-tools
- create account
- upload file

Very well done!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The sketchfab people told me they would create some freecad-specific pages to gather all models uploaded form freecad, etc. At some point we could add a new bbcode here too :)

*EDIT* Done! use

Code: Select all

[sketchfab]IDENTIFIER[/sketchfab]
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Nice! :D that is extremely slick.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Pretty good way to quickly produce nice renders with little effort...

pablogil

Post by pablogil »

yorik wrote:Pretty good way to quickly produce nice renders with little effort...

So, so cool!

I also thought the same :D
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here