BOLTS Open Library of Technical Specifications

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jreinhardt

Re: BOLTS Open Library of Technical Specifications

Post by jreinhardt »

Hmm, that is indeed not optimal. But the problem is in the Ubuntu packaging, a more or less generic package should not pull in KDE specific stuff. I could work around it, but thats quite annoying. ui files feel like the cleaner way compared to pregenerated source code.

Did you translate the instructions in weblate? Because I did not notice any activity in the french translations. Somebody is very active for German, Bernd, is that you?

Greetings
BOLTS, standard parts library for FreeCAD Thread, Help with Translation
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jreinhardt wrote:But the problem is in the Ubuntu packaging, a more or less generic package should not pull in KDE specific stuff.
I agree. I may report this on Launchpad, but I don't have much confidence on this getting fixed.
jreinhardt wrote:Did you translate the instructions in weblate?
No, only on the forum post. As far as I know anything done on your translation system is not immediately available on the website?
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

normandc wrote: No, only on the forum post. As far as I know anything done on your translation system is not immediately available on the website?
That is true, I need to pull the translations from weblate, but I do this regularly.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jreinhardt wrote:...Did you translate the instructions in weblate? Because I did not notice any activity in the french translations. Somebody is very active for German, Bernd, is that you?

Greetings
translating on BOLTS webpage?! me !! I'm not. I would like to have some time for that, but I'm really really busy in family things to do at the moment ...
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

Hmm, then it must be someone else who is interested in beams and hollow sections...:)
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

Hi everybody,

BOLTS now officially has a new website! The new site offers many new features including
  • Internationalisation (in progress): BOLTS will be available in different languages. Help with translating here
  • Responsive design: The site is now usable also with tablets and mobile devices
  • Search: Quickly find what you are looking for with the new search feature
Please update your bookmarks! The old website hosted by github, only shows a migration message. If you have posted links to the old website which you believe attract a lot of traffic, please consider updating them.

Greetings

Johannes
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

That's great.

But I really hate online translation services (that includes Crowdin, used by FreeCAD). I can't comprehend why the strings are not proposed in a logical order. For example, why can't I translate the text on the home page first? Where the heck are those strings?!? Shouldn't those be the very first ones to get translated???

Having those strings in no particular order really makes it harder because you can't even know where the original text is. Context is completely stripped. It's like those translation system have as sole purpose to make the translator's life more miserable.

I'll try to help for the French translation, but with no guarantee. I might get exasperated real quick. :roll:
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

Thank you a lot for your efforts!

I agree that for the documentation and the bulk text Weblate is not optimal. (Somehow I always agree with you ;) ). Gettext and all these internationalisation tools historically originated in application development, where you usually only have short strings and there is no real order, so they don't try to hard to make use of this.

That said, the strings of one page should still come up together, so if you want to translate a particular page, you can try to find a string from the start of this page and go on from there.

Also you might find the Zen mode more comfortable (click on "Zen" on the right side above the translation forms).
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jreinhardt wrote:...
BOLTS now officially has a new website! The new site offers many new features including
Thank you, Johannes.
normandc wrote:That's great.
+1
normandc wrote:But I really hate online translation services (that includes Crowdin, used by FreeCAD). I can't comprehend why the strings are not proposed in a logical order. For example, why can't I translate the text on the home page first? Where the heck are those strings?!? Shouldn't those be the very first ones to get translated??? ...
+1 It's much easier to translate freecad wiki pages than freecad strings.
jreinhardt

Post by jreinhardt »

The Zen mode of Weblate (see attachment) is much better in this regard (the standard UI is quite cluttered), but for some reason only available for logged in users.

It is not optimal, but I don't know about a better alternative for translating po files. On the other hand, Weblate integrates very nicely into my git development workflow.
weblate-zen-mode.png
weblate-zen-mode.png (105.81 KiB) Viewed 2539 times