No FreeCAD News - OnShape

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: No FreeCAD News - OnShape

Post by DeepSOIC »

Sketcher.
* solver is awesome.
* has some spline support. Although, I can't loop a spline with a non-smooth joint, which is a sort-of limitation. I think they will fix that, or I'll find a way to do it.
* has no ellipses yet :twisted:
* constraints symbols can be switched all off, and moved around. awesome.
* I have not found yet, how to disable autoconstraints. It always tries to autoconstrain to external geometry. I prefer to constrain manually. EDIT: I need to hold Shift all the time.
* where is DOF counter?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

DeepSOIC wrote:* where is DOF counter?
It's a FreeCAD exclusive.
TT-RS

Post by TT-RS »

I like OnShape, but I wish it was working off-line.

It works in my home OK, but only on good broadband internet connection. Tried on 3G (mobile connection) and it was too slow. I tried sketcher and simple modelling functions. Nothing more. I did not find any bug and it was fast, easy to use, reliable.

However, I don't like idea of apps that needs to have internet connection (even for installation - like DesignSpark Mechanical). Of course sometimes it is good (updates, downloading parts, etc.) but I prefer off-line apps.

I don't like apps in cloud idea at all. Cloud computing for FEA / CFD/ renderings is OK, but running CAD apps in webbrowser is not a dream, storing CAD files in cloud is also bad idea (remember when hackers broke into Dropbox or Adobe cloud servers?). You can run it in tablet or mobile phone, OK, but what for?? I don't need CAD in my phone :) I like my 28-inches LCD display and I don't want to use CAD in 3-4-inches display. This possibilities are useless for me.

I knew about "new CAD from old Solidworks programmers" (it was mentioned 2-3 years ago) and I hoped it will be really good and will blow away mid-range CAD systems (SW, SE, INV). I know it is only beta, but I am dissapointed.

Nice to have free plan, but I would like to pay some money for lease (like in case of Autodesk Fusion 360) and get good, off-line, stand-alone CAD application.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

I fully agree with TT-RS, and I just want to rant on it a little more.

I have bought myself a top-of-the-line convertible notebook, Sony Vaio Duo 11, which has touchscreen, pen, a plenty of processing power, and it is relatively lightweight and compact. The main aim was to be able to do some stuff like routing a PCB or designing a part wherever I am. Exactly what OnShape is aiming at! And what do I get? Onshape is completely useless on my notebook! It still lacks touchscreen and pen support, which I was very excited about when I first heard about it (thanks to this thread ;) ). And it's slow. Very slow to load, and quite slow to spin the model. It's almost like it is downloading and installing FreeCAD each time it starts! (which is essentially what it has to do, BTW)

For example, there is a vacuum setup in a lab (this was for real). I feel I need to design a custom 3d-printed holder. I just sit down on the floor right next to it, with calipers in hand, and model the required part right there, capturing dimensions as needed. Beauty, and FreeCAD allows me to do that. OnShape doesn't (Wifi signal is low there, I need a mouse...)

So, for me, OnShape is a fail. And I bet they won't make it run on Windows Phone word censored, which I have and will have for long because of the wonderful camera. Even if they do - screen is way too small for anything serious.
And I don't have a tablet (well, my notebook is my tablet!).

And just as TT-RS, I don't like all that cloud stuff.
Please excuse me for ranting, I hope you found that interesting.