Developer funding

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Developer funding

Post by NormandC »

Clearly r.tec does not know or understand the distinction between open source software development and closed source freeware/shareware development.

Case in point: Red Hat, Inc. is a multinational software company that has built its whole business model on top of open source software. They had $1.5 billion revenue in 2014 yet everything they do (that I know of) is open source. They are the people behind Fedora, one of the oldest GNU/Linux distribution. They contribute to I don't know how many open source software.

They are the proof that making money from open source while contributing to it works.
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

..okay, I really didn't know...
prokoudine

Post by prokoudine »

Regarding merchandise, I wouldn't put a lot of hope into that.

Exhibit A: Audacity, well-known free/libre multitrack audio editor. Closed its online merchandise shop some 5 or 6 years ago, because it made pretty much no profits, even though the project had tens, if not hundreds of thousands users around the world even back then.

Exhibit B: Blender, well-known free/libre 3D modeling/animation/vfx/etc. software. Makes a dime or two on merchandise. Revenue is mostly generated by selling DVDs with educational content and books.

Just some insight for your information and, possibly, entertainment :)