0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: 0.16 Features We'd Like To See

Post by jmaustpc »

Pierrimus wrote:I made up this list before joining the forum.
Your first post, welcome to FreeCAD.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi Perrimus, and welcome to the forum! I can give you a little help regarding some of the things on your wish list:
Pierrimus wrote:-Sketch Mirror
Done but you might not have it in your FreeCAD version.
Pierrimus wrote:-Ability to dimension Sketch lines not based on vertical or horizontal (diagonal lines).
For this you can apply the general Length Constraint:
Pierrimus wrote:-Is there a way to add in a function that will give a slider of acceptable values for the fillet and chamfer so the user doesn't play a guessing game?
Good idea! I'd like that too.
Pierrimus wrote:-Pop up error messages that actually have some guide to tell users what the issue is. The ones that appear at the bottom of the screen flash by so quickly and are so cryptic only developers might know what they mean.
You can enable the Report View, to get a scrollable output list, by navigating to View > Views and ticking Report View to True. Then go to Edit > Preferences > General (icon in left pane) > Output Window (tab) and in the "Python Interpreter" section toggle the "Redirect ... to report view" options to True. I also have the 3 Output options ("Record ...") at the top ticked to True.

Also, ticking the View > Status Bar option to True might be helpful.
Pierrimus wrote:-Proper full integration of the Imperial measurement system.
This is in progress but not complete. If you find a place where imperial units aren't supported, post back. I think there's a ticket on the bug tracker for this too, but I don't remember if it is for a specific instance where imperial units aren't supported yet or if the ticket was a catchall for all the places where imperial units aren't supported.
Pierrimus wrote:-Part Design's linear pattern tool needs more than horizontal and vertical, perhaps instead go by each axis? Maybe this is due to lack of understanding the exact how to use it,
You can add your own axis to the Sketch, then LinearPatttern along that axis:

Here the blue construction geometry segment in my Sketch is the axis along which I want to LinearPattern the future Pocket.
20150924a-LinearPattern.png
20150924a-LinearPattern.png (7.89 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
After making the Pocket:
20150924b-LinearPattern.png
20150924b-LinearPattern.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Select the LinearPattern tool, in the Direction menu select "Sketch Axis 0". This is that blue line segment in the Sketch.
20150924c-LinearPattern.png
20150924c-LinearPattern.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
And the resulting LinearPattern looks like this:
20150924d-LinearPattern.png
20150924d-LinearPattern.png (9.99 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Pierrimus wrote:-Add variable fillets to Sketcher.
Yes, that would be handy (doh! I should have included this append: "for the Part Design WB").
Pierrimus wrote:Ability to tile the document windows. For instance to open three 2D views of the objects and the orthographic view.
View > Create New View. After that you can go to Windows > Tile. Now we have another window in the 3D view area:
20150924e.png
20150924e.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 2736 times

I hope this helps!

blue = edit
Last edited by bejant on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

bejant wrote:
Pierrimus wrote:-Is there a way to add in a function that will give a slider of acceptable values for the fillet and chamfer so the user doesn't play a guessing game?
Good idea! I'd like that too.
+1

Look at the pad-Operation in the PartDesign-Workbench.
If you entered valid values it will give you some sort of preview in the 3D-view.

Maybe something similar would be possible with fillet/chamfer ?

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
ShurikMur

Post by ShurikMur »

Some interface issues:

Will be great to have simplier way to manipulate 3d view:
LMB to pan, RMB to rotate (as in many other 3d editors),
and also will be great to have an option for a perspective view (with a perspective correction).
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

r-frank wrote:+1

Look at the pad-Operation in the PartDesign-Workbench.
If you entered valid values it will give you some sort of preview in the 3D-view.

Maybe something similar would be possible with fillet/chamfer ?
Hmm... now I'm thinking it could unacceptably slow down FreeCAD.
ShurikMur wrote:Will be great to have simplier way to manipulate 3d view:
LMB to pan
Then how would the user select an item in the 3D window?
ShurikMur wrote:RMB to rotate
Not sure of that one either... maybe for a new mouse model?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

bejant wrote:
ShurikMur wrote:Will be great to have simplier way to manipulate 3d view:
LMB to pan
Then how would the user select an item in the 3D window?
LMB i never seen yet.. but Lmb hold is pan and lmb click is action menu i have seen… I don't know if this is easy to generate
ShurikMur

Post by ShurikMur »

Detecting lmb click versus hold and drag - is easy task (by delta x and y between mouse down and up events and time).
Selection action should be linked to mouse up event and after checking if it was a short click.
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

It would be interesting to have the option of mirroring elements in "matrix" (draft).

I mean something like this:

< > < > < >

I know that there are a "mirror" function on "part", but I don't like it because it leaves two objects instead of a single one fused.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

ShurikMur wrote:also will be great to have an option for a perspective view (with a perspective correction).
Is Edit > Preferences > Display (icon in left pane) > 3D View (tab at top of right pane) > Camera type (bottom of right pane) > and then toggle "Perspective rendering" to true (instead of orthographic) what you're after? Maybe a view like this:
20150927a-perspective.png
20150927a-perspective.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Edit: An easier way is to use the View pulldown menu and then select orthographic or Perspective view from there.
Detecting lmb click versus hold and drag - is easy task (by delta x and y between mouse down and up events and time).
Selection action should be linked to mouse up event and after checking if it was a short click.
Ah ha, and now so I see! (Please forgive my coding ignorance)

blue = edit
Last edited by bejant on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShurikMur

Post by ShurikMur »

bejant wrote:Is Edit > Preferences > Display (icon in left pane) > 3D View (tab at top of right pane) > Camera type (bottom of right pane) > and then toggle "Perspective re...
Thanx :) Didn't noticed before it already implemented.
bejant wrote:
... after checking if it was a short click.
Ah ha, and now so I see! (Please forgive my coding ignorance)
:)

Anyway... The main requested features are: copy-paste abilities in sketch mode and ability to create free-floating sketches in a part editing mode w\o support faces.