Sytem specs

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Sytem specs

Post by triplus »

hemocyanin wrote:I guess I'll be buying more memory so none of the cores get starved and start hitting swap.
If it takes 20 hours and it's not finished yet this is not something you will be able to solve with more RAM. I did some tests on simple files and there is no multi-core meshing phase in it. I would say use different software for now capable of providing tools for efficient mesh operations. Use FreeCAD for more simple objects where solids are made and manipulated in more reasonable amount of time. Or maybe there is faster software available you could use for one of the phases and do the rest in FreeCAD. Or to reduce the complexity of imported mesh...

Doing one operation for 20 hours sounds a bit unreasonable to me if you would like to do operations like that on regular basis.
hemocyanin

Re: Sytem specs

Post by hemocyanin »

ickby wrote:... there are more specialized tools out there for mesh handling.
What would you suggest?

Still converting to a shape, BTW, top reporting 2150 minutes so far. This is sort of amusing now -- I really want to know how long it takes (I'm sampling top every 5 minutes and saving to a text file -- actually 2359 -- my log stopped working 200 minutes ago for some reason).