0.16 Release

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
r-frank
Veteran

Re: 0.16 Release

Post by r-frank »

yorik wrote: Roland, I upgraded you as proofreader, you can now mark translations as approved. Werner is admin already.
If anyone else wants to help with proofreading, just tell me!
Yes, I just noticed, thanks, i will do my best ...

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
xobes

Post by xobes »

eivindkvedalen wrote:
wmayer wrote:
Werner did you ever succeed in compiling c++11 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I remember that we both attempted this a long time ago when we were trying to compile the Assembly branch FreeCAD, and I never succeeded on 12.04, I only succeed on 14.04.
I have never tried the new Assembly or PartDesign branch and I have no clue about the C++11 or C++14 capabilities of gcc in Ubuntu 12.04. However, as long as this is a supported platform we have to make sure that FreeCAD code compiles on it.
The assembly branch does not compile on 12.04 LTS; I've used it up until this weekend, and compiling the assembly branch was my main reason for upgrading... :)

Eivind
I'm using Ubuntu 15.10 and interested in said "assembly branch". My searches for it got me here, is there a wiki page that someone can point me to get me started on where to get it and try it out?
THANK YOU to all the devs for such a wonderful tool!
drei

Post by drei »

@xobes
See here and here

Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:
Werner did you ever succeed in compiling c++11 in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I remember that we both attempted this a long time ago when we were trying to compile the Assembly branch FreeCAD, and I never succeeded on 12.04, I only succeed on 14.04.
I have never tried the new Assembly or PartDesign branch and I have no clue about the C++11 or C++14 capabilities of gcc in Ubuntu 12.04. However, as long as this is a supported platform we have to make sure that FreeCAD code compiles on it.
Your are right, of course, it was a combination of Juergen, Ickby, Tanderson and some others ...so I confused you in my memory with a whole group of people, quite a compliment when you think about it... :) But seriously here is a link to where we were talking about the different flag needed to get GCC to compile it on 12.04, I don't think I every succeeded with compiling a c++11 version on 12.04

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7467&start=30#p69398

wmayer wrote:
Which is soon to be end of support ie an obsolete distribution version.
Soon is relative. This version will be maintained until end of April 2017 which is still more than a year.
Yes that it a good point, when I wrote that I was thinking that 16.04 is due soon so hence was thinking 12.04 would then be obsolete being 2 lts versions old, but I was forgetting that they support 12.04 for 5 years hence until April 2017.

I still have Kubuntu 12.04 64bit on one machine so that I can still test things related to 12.04.
eivindkvedalen wrote:
wmayer wrote:
The assembly branch does not compile on 12.04 LTS; I've used it up until this weekend, and compiling the assembly branch was my main reason for upgrading... :)

Eivind
I still have Kubuntu 12.04 64bit on one machine so I can test things related to 12.04. Have you determined that it is impossible ...or do you mean it did not by default and you gave up trying to get it to compile? Also do you know if PartDesign next has exactly the same problem as Assembly? I can download whichever branch you suggest and have a go compiling it on my 12.04 machine tomorrow ...if you like and if you are not certain it is a lost cause?

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

With the help of Google I search and read a bit about this, if I understand correctly the following is the case...

it is to do with which GCC version is being used to compile FreeCAD
1) the default in 12.04 is GCC 4.6.something which supports some limited parts of C+11 and requires the flag -std=c++0x for those c++11 features to be enabled, later GCC uses the flag -std=c++11 to enable C++11 features
2) you can install later versions of gcc from this ppa
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain ... buntu/test

these later versions can then compile more and more of the c++11 and later features.

One complication is that the other GCC versions from that PPA will install along with the older default GCC and not replace it. So you have to ensure you are using the desired version of GCC once it is installed.

I wonder if you would also need to compile oce and some other libs with the same compiler version to ensure they run properly together? If so its starts to sound very complicated.

Is using c++11 features before the end of life of 12.04 worth the pain? Do these features provide functionality that could have been written in the older supported c++? I don't have enough knowledge to have an opinion on that. But I would suggest that if C++11 really is needed then perhaps dropping support for 12.04 at some point post 0.16 release might not be all that painful a few months after 16.04 is released and stabilised. If I really was forced to make a choice between further 12.04 support and getting PartDesign next, I would vote for PartDesign next (and then hopefully some day some Assembly?? :) )
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

It is always nice to have a new release!! :)

I would really like to see system-wide macro support on version 0.16, so that people using the stable version of FreeCAD can use the macros that are packaged in the Community Extras launchpad repository.

If there is any (new/known) issue with the Sketcher, I have some time available for FreeCAD again.

Regards,
abdullah
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah wrote:If there is any (new/known) issue with the Sketcher, I have some time available for FreeCAD again.
Thanks for reminder, I have a smakk bug for you ;) . Will post in a new thread.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

abdullah wrote:If there is any (new/known) issue with the Sketcher, I have some time available for FreeCAD again.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13772
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

Before 0.16, I think this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13372 needs to be resolved. If we don't solve it now, it think it will be a pain to make changes later on and be backward compatible.

Eivind
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I'd like to try one special translation myself with the uptodate data from cowdin. Let's say german arch translation. How would I do this?