jmaustpc been away for a bit

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

jmaustpc been away for a bit

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all
I've been away from the forums for a while. Some of you have said "welcomed back" or similar, so I thought I would post this quick note to say thanks. :)

This is supposed to be a CAD forum so I don't know if any of you really want to see this or not, but since the Aussie outback is somewhat ....well different?... at least the animals are somewhat unique! :) I took this photo this evening just before dusk, hence the quality is not much good. These "roos" are "Eastern Greys" they are shorter and fatter than the "big reds" in the remote outback plains. This is just up the road a bit from my place. To give you some idea of scale, those two bigger roos in the centre are something like about 1.7m tall when they sit up and look at you. The one on the left is hopping away, it got to the fence in about 3 jumps then leaped straight over the cattle/sheep fence. My kids think they are "just so fluffy and cute".

For those of you who live in cities, I though you might find it interesting, or strange, that today I travelled 140km each way (takes something like 1 and a half hours each way) this morning I followed one car and passed 4, coming home this afternoon I passed only three cars in the entire trip. Not exactly a high population density around here...although it is much higher than the remote outback.

Jim
100_3546zoom.jpg
100_3546zoom.jpg (66.81 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: jmaustpc been away for a bit

Post by PrzemoF »

Nice to see something different than "I have problem with ..." all the time! Thanks!

P.S. We should have an off-topic section in the forum :D
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
nice photo and nice country when I billionaire will dwell in Australia
PrzemoF wrote:P.S. We should have an off-topic section in the forum :D
+ 1
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

When I opened this post my eye got caught by the picture before reading anything, and for a split second my brain frantically tried to find a link between it and FreeCAD :)

Wow, indeed this is a pretty distant reality from my usual south american urban sprawl...

About an off-topic forum, I guess "open discussion" is more or less it too, no? Should we really have one more? Personally I don't find it a problem if serious stuff is mixed with "not-so seriouus"
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Using the opportunity to post some off-topic.
I noticed jriegel is from Ulm, I've been to Ulm :mrgreen:
ulm.jpg
ulm.jpg (493.57 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

If you didn't catch it before, welcome back Jim.

While I haven't been out of country, I have traveled it end to end and my traveling companion and bestest buddy is a breed that Jim would be most likely to recognize at first glance. :) After all, the most famous dog from down under was the same breed. (though mine is not pure, has a touch of Chow in her)
Sasha1.png
Sasha1.png (373.45 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

DeepSOIC wrote:I noticed jriegel is from Ulm, I've been to Ulm :mrgreen:
Me too!
IMG_9510.JPG
IMG_9510.JPG (192.98 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

quick61 wrote:If you didn't catch it before, welcome back Jim.

While I haven't been out of country, I have traveled it end to end and my traveling companion and bestest buddy is a breed that Jim would be most likely to recognize at first glance. :) After all, the most famous dog from down under was the same breed. (though mine is not pure, has a touch of Chow in her)
Hi Mark
So your kelpie had a relative that met a chow.....was it love, lust or ....was too much alcohol involved .... :D

Are you talking about "Red Dog"? My wife said it was a movie that did well, I saw it on TV ...didn't like it much too sad that they killed off one of the characters ....I have had enough crap happen in real life now, so I prefer movies where it all ends well, the goodies and heroes win in the end etc....escapism. :)

By the way...what were the things you mentioned in another post/topic that you wanted to ask me about?
yorik wrote:Wow, indeed this is a pretty distant reality from my usual south american urban sprawl...

:D
Yeah, big difference from Sydney/Melbourne etc. too, ....something like 90% of Australia's population is in, or around, the major cities. Once you get out from the cities a bit, its like another world, more relaxing.... a lot less population density. You might like my cousin's house, he lives on a farm not far from me, he is considered as being "close to town" , as he is only 12km out on the main road to the small but public road to his place. There are no other houses accessed off "his road", you go 2km down from the turn off where the public road ends at his front gate. His private driveway then goes 3.1km up to his house and then continues just over another km passed the house to another public road at the back boundary. His driveway is straight and I can get my 4wd up to 100km on his driveway (when in the 2wd car I keep it to between about 60 and 80). His nearest neighbour is 2km away "as the crow flys" from his house. He runs a total of around 3100 head of beef cattle, but that's including calves, bulls and the cows.

DeepSOIC wrote:I noticed jriegel is from Ulm, I've been to Ulm :mrgreen:
yorik wrote:Me too!
Beautiful, inside and out! Its the same church, right?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:Beautiful, inside and out! Its the same church, right?
Yes, Ulm cathedral, one of the most impressive I've seen, you can climb up to the top in sick corkscrew stair towers that detach from the building and fly alone for a while, supported by ridiculously thin stonework built in the 11th century... The view at the top is amazing
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:supported by ridiculously thin stonework built in the 11th century..
But still standing! :)

I'll have to go have a look sometime, my wife wants to have a holiday western Europe one day. She also wants to go have a look at the Shetland Islands and Northern Scotland. Some of our now distant ancestors come from Scotland but we are a bit like Mark's dog, as we also have some Irish, English, German, Hungarian ....etc. ancestors. :D