About funding and all that

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: About funding and all that

Post by yorik »

HoWil wrote:Who is managing this team/account?
I have no idea, actually :?:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:
HoWil wrote:Who is managing this team/account?
I have no idea, actually :?:

I followed the link and my impression is that bounty source must be a very incompetent or dishonest system since it does not clearly answer you very good basic question! :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hey Jim,

Long time no see! :)
HoWil wrote:I saw that there is a FC-team on bountysource.com
(...)
Who is managing this team/account?
blacey has many comments under the Issues tab, if he's not managing it, maybe he knows who does?
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

agryson wrote:+1 for Patreon.
I already support several creators there https://www.patreon.com/agryson and it works very well, providing lots of simplicity and flexibility.

I would strongly suggest a main Patreon for the whole project (Yorik, your patreon seems to focus on the Arch workbench).

As a second step down the line, there's nothing to stop a workbench by workbench patreon (that way people could direct funding where it helps them best).
I do not know how much work it would be to run both platforms. Maybe Yorik could give some insight and describe his first impressions of patreon. Bountysource is for sure more software concentric (bug-hunting, feature requests,...) where patreon is more general set up for supporting 'artist'.
From the perspective of a group/company who would like to have a specific feature which has to be explicitly defined is bountysource maybe the right choice.

Maybe the developers should also ask the folks from OpenSCAD who are using this platform too ... see https://www.bountysource.com/teams/openscad.

Fore sure there is not only one platform for all. Thats why for instance OpenSCAD accepts several support options see http://www.openscad.org/community.html .
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Contacting a developer or adding proposition under Job offers forum section:

viewforum.php?f=31

Is i guess always a possibility if some specific functionality would need to be developed for FreeCAD and there would be funding available for achieving the task.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:blacey has many comments under the Issues tab, if he's not managing it, maybe he knows who does?
It looks like all the issues are pulled verbatim from the issues on FreeCAD's github account.
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote:It looks like all the issues are pulled verbatim from the issues on FreeCAD's github account.
Indeed, and it's pulling not only from FreeCAD itself but all the repos on the FreeCA github account. Maybe it was created automatically by bountysource? I'lltry to create an account and see if we can claim it for ourselves...
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

yorik wrote:I'lltry to create an account and see if we can claim it for ourselves...
Hi yorik,
did anything change on this ??
Maybe some money could be collected this way for next years LibreGraphicsMeeting in Rio de Janeiro or something equivalent.
lg
HoWil
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I created an account, pressed the "claim this project!" button, but nothing came... Not sure this site is very functional :?
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

I recently came across this post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... ts_please/. A kind user "KezzBee" just decided to cancel all his proprietary subscriptions and instead divert his money to FOSS. He was asking for Patreons nodes which eventually led to a the post becoming a large list of projects/people accepting donations for FOSS development. Apart from Patreon, there are also other platforms listed, including gratipay and open source collective.
I suggested Yorik's Patreon page, and if anyone would like to add any other name, the OP will be recompiling the list as long as suggestions keep coming.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.