Preferred Workflow

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Macro

Preferred Workflow

Post by Macro »

Hi,

I'm just starting in on 3D modeling for larger projects but I come from a EE background with no mechanical CAD experience. Anyone willing to explain their workflow when they attemp a large project? How do you approach the designing of a new part, do you start by using the Drafting toolkit moving to a sketch and finally part design?

Thank you all for your help.
triplus
Veteran

Re: Preferred Workflow

Post by triplus »

It is hard to say as the more you use FreeCAD the more you use the tools from all workbenches. If you are talking more about mechanical engineering start with PartDesign WB to make some parts. After try out Part WB to do some operations between them. After investigate Draft WB tools to see what they offer... There is FEM WB in active development you can test out. Don't forget to check out Arch WB tools...

After that you can start trying out 3rd Party modules like Assembly2, Drawing Dimensioning, Fasteners WB... and macros to further extend and improve ease of use and current work flow possibilities offered.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi Marco and welcome.
Macro wrote:Anyone willing to explain their workflow when they attemp a large project?
I usually start with at least an idea or doodle of what I want to create, with some key dimensions on it.

After you have one item modeled you can find the coordinates of a key feature of the model and start your next model using those coordinates, or you can start the next model at the origin and later align the FreeCAD objects by using the Part WB > Edit menu > Alignment tool, or you can create a Sketch for the beginning of the next model by selecting a planar face of the first model, then using the Part Design WB > Reorient Sketch tool (detach the Sketch from the face but cancel out of the tool when it asks you for new coordinates) and then deleting everything from the first model and renaming the document.
Macro wrote: do you start by using the Drafting toolkit moving to a sketch and finally part design?
For me it seems I usually start in Sketcher, then Pad or Revolve the Sketch to make a solid, but as triplus mentioned there are different WB's, and each is more suited to a particular use than another WB.

If you can give us an idea of what you'd like to model, or at least the first object, I'm sure the good people here will help you get on to a good start.

Edit: edit was done for clarity
Macro

Post by Macro »

Thank to both of your replys.

I've been taking your advice and started with designing my parts in Sketcher and Part Design.
After that you can start trying out 3rd Party modules like Assembly2, Drawing Dimensioning, Fasteners WB... and macros to further extend and improve ease of use and current work flow possibilities offered.
I'll have to start looking into these.