Libre Graphics Meeting, London, April 2016

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Libre Graphics Meeting, London, April 2016

Post by yorik »

We are looking for presentations and workshops that explore the dimensions of space and material: 3D modelling and animation, Libre architecture, Open Source product design and other fields of digital making and manufacture.
http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2016/ca ... icipation/

It looks like we MUST do something! At least the slides they ask for... I think I might submit a proposal for a talk too :mrgreen:
microelly2
Veteran

Re: Libre Graphics Meeting, London, April 2016

Post by microelly2 »

yorik wrote: It looks like we MUST do something! At least the slides they ask for... I think I might submit a proposal for a talk too :mrgreen:
yes indeed
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

My talk has been confirmed! I'll be in London in April!! This will be my talk:

Architectural design, BIM and FreeCAD

BIM stands for Building Information Modeling, the new heaven promised to architects, destinated to replace older, traditional CAD and unify all parts of a building project. The precise definition of BIM stays until today a bit blurry, and many still wonder where the big changes are. However, for the first time in a world traditionally ruled by software vendors, BIM is born with a foot in the open-source world, thanks, mainly, to an open file format, the IFC format, and the very active community around it, who, step by step, are turning this format into an unavoidable world standard.

This has many important consequences, a big one being the possibility to free the architectural design process from the paradigms fed by major software vendors, IFC being extremely down-to-earth, and allow architects to rethink their tools and workflows. Many open-source projects have blossomed around it, and with FreeCAD, we have a possibility to effectively deliver professional-level BIM work with a full A-to-Z control over our data, our methods and our workflow, the open-source way. In this talk I will do my best to illustrate a bit of that story.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

Awesome Yorik !
I will think about this date :mrgreen:
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Sounds great Yorik.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Congratulation for succeeding in your quest.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

yorik wrote:My talk has been confirmed! I'll be in London in April!!
Great! I really should try to go to some of this... :|

But if there will be some folks from the building industry in the audience be prepared, UK was in the past few years pushing very strong on BIM http://www.bimtaskgroup.org/. They are also quite firm on doing it with open standards so one could argue that they are possible a big reason why tools like revit got so quickly quite good support for IFC... Just saying that this might be folks that already walk and talk BIM :) however showing them the path to open source end user applications for BIM might be interesting, specially if you could get in to the mix also someone like Collabora :roll:
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

yorik wrote:The precise definition of BIM stays until today a bit blurry, and many still wonder where the big changes are. However, for the first time in a world traditionally ruled by software vendors, BIM is born with a foot in the open-source world, thanks, mainly, to an open file format, the IFC format, and the very active community around it, who, step by step, are turning this format into an unavoidable world standard.
As far as I know, BIM is a database with all the elements of a building (geometry, material, construction phases, costs, maintenance, relationship with other elements...). The user interface is just the "surface" of BIM.The IFC file is a database, you can view it with some visors like BIMvision.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
drei

Post by drei »

This is great news.
Any chance we could make this a sticky so others can see this?
I just found it, but it was buried beneath other discussions.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

good idea. it's sticky now.
if someone plans to go to the LGM, please tell here, we could try to organize something...