Libre Graphics Meeting, London, April 2016

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Libre Graphics Meeting, London, April 2016

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote: I really recommend you all to go to a next edition when it's close to your city.
Yorik, you should have gone next year....its going to be in Rio de Janeiro, for LGM 2017! :)

They are open to offers for 2018....
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jmaustpc wrote:
yorik wrote: I really recommend you all to go to a next edition when it's close to your city.
Yorik, you should have gone next year....its going to be in Rio de Janeiro, for LGM 2017! :)

They are open to offers for 2018....
This seams to be on the way. While rockn and me where allready talking about beer in London Yorik attended the organization meetion for LGM 2017 in London :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yeah I'll try to help them to organize it here next year...
All of you can already start thinking about it... Holidays in Brazil + Libre Graphics Meeting + Biggest FreeCAD event EVER. What about that, there is one year to plan ahead! ;)
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

:) Nice, looking forward for the video
NormandC wrote:quick search found this: http://svgnest.com/
In this topic viewtopic.php?t=14038 (post with sample file viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14038&start=10#p112218) I have worked out what has to be done to make FC svg export work with svgnest... there are some cleaned up examples that work nice with it.
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

As an alternative to shortcuts, I like the idea of what is called "Command Palette" in the Atom editor. It's a line that opens with a shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+P in Atom), where you can start to type a few letters, and the command relevant to the letters you typed are filtered and can be activated. I also use this on my Desktop to open applications and documents (I use Synapse). This is a good way to find a command without knowing where its icon is or how it is exactly called.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

galou_breizh wrote:As an alternative to shortcuts, I like the idea of what is called "Command Palette" in the Atom editor. It's a line that opens with a shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+P in Atom), where you can start to type a few letters, and the command relevant to the letters you typed are filtered and can be activated. I also use this on my Desktop to open applications and documents (I use Synapse). This is a good way to find a command without knowing where its icon is or how it is exactly called.
KDE's main menu and application launcher (Kickoff, K menu, in Windows "start menu") has a search box that works a bit like that. FreeCAD already searches commands like that for auto complete on the Python command line. I don't know about how well that would fit into a FreeCAD GUI work flow. Personally I usually prefer the mouse but I can see how regular users of various tools would like to just press one or two keys.
rockn
Veteran

Post by rockn »

On Ubuntu with Unity you have already something like that. The Alt key open the Dash in the context of the application.
For example :
Starting FreeCAD : press the Super key, type "fre", press down key to highlight FreeCAD, press Enter key.
Create a new doc : (okay we have Ctrl+N) but you can press the Alt key, type "New", the dash show Create a new doc, press Enter.
Switch to Part workbench : press Alt key, type "Part", the list show the function to switch to Part workbench.
Create a Cube : press Alt, type "Cube", press Enter.
etc ...
All tools available in menu are accessible via Alt, then type few letter then press Enter.
Formations - Assistance - Développement : https://freecad-france.com
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

rockn wrote:Starting FreeCAD : press the Super key, type "fre", press down key to highlight FreeCAD, press Enter key.
Create a new doc : (okay we have Ctrl+N) but you can press the Alt key, type "New", the dash show Create a new doc, press Enter.
Switch to Part workbench : press Alt key, type "Part"
the shortcut keys are more than only going to certain functions. 26 functions on one screen is not that much. so you run out a single keyboard specially when you want logic keys…
The shorcut keys are really handy with multiple functions behind each other or same function in certain order do some steps (see example views)

I work a lot with Pro-E/Creo and in that program there is a tool called mapkey.
In that program there the possebiltie to automate some functions (short keys) but also map hole macros behind a shortcut.
an example:
Within years there were some changes the start model (standard views don't excist etc) and i created a mapkey that basted on the front view created all other views.
Other common used things were creating a picture with a white background (and put the background back to normal)
some where quite simple 'mk' was mine mapkey to go to the mapkeys (so i can remember what the mapkeys were or create new ones)

after all it is off course possible to add the mapkeys to a 3Dconnexion mouse
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

One possibly easy step on the way to autocompleting commands, would be to create a dummy module in Gui (for example Gui.Commands) and populate it with members that are all the command names. But that would still not make them run...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

yorik wrote:One possibly easy step on the way to autocompleting commands, would be to create a dummy module in Gui (for example Gui.Commands) and populate it with members that are all the command names. But that would still not make them run...
I might have an idea on how to achieve this (Python). If i ever get to create a working prototype i will report back.