Google Summer Of Code 2016

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2016

Post by ickby »

Hello,

just got confirmation from Sean Morrison that the BRL-CAD guys send the application in. This year it is again as an umbrella organisation under the name BRL-CAD and not as hoped under an non-profit general open source engeneering organisation. But I think this is ok for us, we are a small light in this effort anyway. Today is the end of the application period, information of accepted organisations is sheduled for 29 February 19:00 UTC. Let's hope the best :)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

it would be nice to consider also this feature for GSOC:
- import/export STEP file using STEPCODE http://stepcode.org/

as pointed out at the forum
viewtopic.php?t=5086
viewtopic.php?t=6685

Maurice
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

it would be nice to consider also this feature for GSOC:
- import/export STEP file using STEPCODE http://stepcode.org/
Sorry, but this is outside of my scope of interesst. Due to unfamiliarity with the topic I cannot and actually also do not want to mentor this. If eomeone else likes to mentor this he is of course very welcome to add it to the project ideas page, more mentors are always very helpful!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

ickby wrote: Sorry, but this is outside of my scope of interesst.
I just say it would be nice to add this topic on GSOC ... not mentioning who could be the mentor ;)
Mine was just a request on forum...
Cheers
M
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I just say it would be nice to add this topic on GSOC ... not mentioning who could be the mentor ;)
It is not that easy. for one a rather detailed description is needed, so someone needs to have some serious thoughts about it. And then there needs to be a contact person for this. If we add it as project idea we can receive proposals from students, hence we need to be prepared for evaluating and mentoring it. This is not possible if no one takes the responsibility.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

ickby wrote:for one a rather detailed description is needed, so someone needs to have some serious thoughts about it. And then there needs to be a contact person for this.
may be from viewtopic.php?t=5086
jriegel wrote:I did a code review into the OCC STEP implementation to judge what we can do with it
could be interested in

and also from viewtopic.php?t=6685
wmayer wrote: from the OCC's own BREP format I know it saves also the internal triangulation which makes files quite larger.
may too...
and also may be
cwstirk wrote:@easy-fc I have been waiting for @jriegel to respond regarding the status of STEP assemblies, as I am also interested in his progress.
from viewtopic.php?t=5086
that's why I posted here my query...
to see if someone may be interested in that subject
I myself am doing quite a lot of work in that direction... so I could be also an other one to be contacted eventually...
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

that's why I posted here my query...
to see if someone may be interested in that subject
that is of course ok and a good idea. If someone volunteers to support this idea and takes the responsibility we can of course add it to the project idea list, more ideas is always better! But someone needs to make the commitment involved with GSoC. If you want to do this you are very welcome to add it to the list. But make sure to read http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentorin ... od-mentor/ before commiting (the whole book is recommended)
cwstirk

Post by cwstirk »

Re: STEP translation
I am already a mentor for STEPcode under the BRL-CAD umbrella submission for CAX. An interested student has already responded regarding a STEP exporter for BRL-CAD. I would be willing to also consider a student for a STEPcode based FreeCAD exporter, but would need help from a mentor with FreeCAD and OpenCasCade experience.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

cwstirk wrote:Re: STEP translation
but would need help from a mentor with FreeCAD and OpenCasCade experience.
I found that exporting from a commercial sw a STEP model coming from FreeCAD, the sw will reduce a lot STEP size in terms of bytes...
So probably only export to STEP would need to be implemented, because importing a STEP model with OCE would conserve all the needed info...
The basic target IMO would be to export only basic geometries, like in e.g. solvespace
https://github.com/jwesthues/solvespace ... rtstep.cpp
so what we would need is how to get the correspondence in FC of:
Curve (B_SPLINE_CURVE)
CurveLoop (closed contours)
B-spline surface (Bezier surface)
for that reason we would need help from a mentor with FreeCAD and OpenCasCade experience.
Maurice
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

WE ARE IN!!

I'm glad to announce that BRL-CAD as umbrella organization and with them FreeCAD has been selected for this years GSoC program!

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 174596096/

This is very exciting. Now it is our task to raise interest in our projects and find capable students writing high quality project proposals. So if you know anyone that could be interested or have any chance of making some marketing fuzz help us to spread the word!