SourceForge and Slashdot have been sold

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

SourceForge and Slashdot have been sold

Post by jmaustpc »

SourceForge and Slashdot have been sold. It would seem that the new owners recognise that the previous owners caused a lot of damage and it seems like they are saying that they will fix it.

http://fossforce.com/2016/01/sourceforg ... been-sold/

A quote from about halfway through the article in the link above
“When I say trusted – I mean trusted,” he went on. “We disagree with some of the previous monetization strategies from an industry and business perspective, and have immediate plans to discontinue programs inconsistent with our being a trusted and reliable resource for the entire open source community.
They have lot of competition now from Github and others, they also have to convince projects to move back, for many they may not have really wanted to leave in the first place but now that they have gone they may equally not see the effort involved in going back as worthwhile.

I hope they are not too late. It is always healthy for the industry to have viable alternatives and healthy competition.
microelly2
Veteran

Re: SourceForge and Slashdot have been sold

Post by microelly2 »

jmaustpc wrote:I hope they are not too late. It is always healthy for the industry to have viable alternatives and healthy competition.
freedom starts when you have at least three choises
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I really wonder if/how they can regain trust... We'll see...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Besides this I want to add that SF at the time where they were considered serious very often had downtimes for up to a whole week or longer so that any development was impossible. And that happened several times.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I guess we have to wait and see on how new owner will deal with this. GitHub is strong and i guess it will take time for competition to catch up.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:Besides this I want to add that SF at the time where they were considered serious very often had downtimes for up to a whole week or longer so that any development was impossible. And that happened several times.
Good point.

By the way did you guys notice that Github apparently went down for a while a few days ago? I read about it on Slashdot, here is a link
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/16 ... ice-outage

personally I did not notice but since all I do is "git pull" master once or twice a day, perhaps that is not so surprising.

now for a conspiracy theory...I read about it on Slashdot which is owned then and now by the same people as Sourceforge!!! :D

yorik wrote:I really wonder if/how they can regain trust... We'll see...
I don't think it would be impossible to build up trust again if they are serious... but I wonder how many projects would bother going through the effort of going back if they had already left. Like us for example, the huge effort Yorik and you guys went to to migrate away, ....you would have to have a very good reason to do all that effort to go back again.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

There is a slashdot post today saying that Sourceforge has announced it will stop that stupid controversial crap ware bundling "devshare"

http://news.slashdot.org/story/16/02/10 ... lashdot%29

a right, good, sensible move if they are genuine about improving their reputation. :)