FreeCAD on the web

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by yorik »

r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Just found out that FreeCAD is on the ArtistX-DVD.

Nice bundle of Software.

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
kwahoo

Post by kwahoo »

yorik wrote:Wow, looks like next edition of "Linux Format" (issue #185) will talk about FreeCAD! http://www.linuxformat.com/archives
Files used in the article https://github.com/dejongh/raspberrypicase
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Nice! And the description of what FreeCAD is is very good.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

He is right that there has been a lot of improvements and that 0.14 was a long time coming, but ....
I tried to use 0.13 and I couldn't use it due to bugs
That sounds "over the top", I don't remember 0.13 as having bugs that were bad enough to stop it being useful. 0.13 was good for what it was, at the time. :)

Jim
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Oh man, Yorik you should delete that post as it really doesn't paint FreeCAD in a good light. :D I mean, the project managed to get... zero funding!!! :?

It's really surprising considering even the most insignificant new 3D printer project posted on Kickstarter or Indiegogo almost always manages to surpass its funding goal no matter how bland or terrible it is. :roll:

Then again, that Rayee project was only conceptual, there were no pictures of any prototype.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

After watching many, I begin to have a small idea about what makes a kickstarter campaign successful... One thing is certain, you have to do a lot of things after you start the campaign. Just sitting there waiting for the money to pour in is almost garanteed failure...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:Just sitting there waiting for the money to pour in is almost garanteed failure...
Unless you're making potato salad. :roll: (Kickstarter is certainly going downhill)

Well the presentation was lackluster to say the least, and as I said, nothing tangible. Really nice renders would have helped (of course IMHO you should not fund a project on renders alone!), and more activity and communication.

2-3 years ago I was very tempted to fund Printrbot which had a highly successful Kickstarter, and they managed to build a well-respected company. But not many did, and there are a lot of hacks and thieves wanting to grab your money and run. Then there are well-intentioned people who after a huge funding simply can't seem to deliver the goods.

There are so many options available now, funding yet another 3D printer now does not make sense. These are "me-too" projects that do not bring any innovation to the field.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

http://www.inside3dp.com/5-cad-courses- ... nthusiast/

They say: "If you’ve had a bit of experience with CAD then FreeCAD could be good for you. If not, you may find it a bit complicated. The site claims no previous CAD experience is necessary but compared to TinkerCAD, AutoDesk 123D and SketchUp it is fairly more complex." They have a point there, I think... Indeed we do something more complex than those :) Maybe we could reformulate a bit the text on the homepage? What do you guys think?