FreeCAD on the web

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote:Maybe we could reformulate a bit the text on the homepage? What do you guys think?
Maybe, but I think it's a mistake putting us in the same boat as TinkerCAD, Autodesk 123D and SketchUp. FreeCAD's purpose is not the same as these software, which do not target power users. Well maybe SketchUp.

And it's such a subjective subject. We see often newcomers with no CAD experience at all do amazing things very quickly with FreeCAD, while others struggle more with it.

I don't mind if it was reformulated, I don't have ideas at the moment, but if anyone else has...

And while we're at it, this reminds me of this topic: Who is FreeCAD for?
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

yorik wrote:The site claims no previous CAD experience is necessary but compared to TinkerCAD, AutoDesk 123D and SketchUp it is fairly more complex.
From the FreeCAD homepage:
Model it in FreeCAD. No previous CAD experience required.
Sure FreeCAD is more complex, and it's true that no previous CAD experience is required. I thought about saying that previous CAD experience wouldn't hurt, but from the forum we've seen that previous CAD experience can be either a blessing, curse, or somewhere in between for somebody starting on with FreeCAD - it just depends on the individual.
yorik wrote:Maybe we could reformulate a bit the text on the homepage? What do you guys think?
I'm of the notion that no previous CAD experience is needed, but I don't object to any changes you may deem appropriate. (I sure don't have much of a knack for creating web pages)
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

I just found a notice about the 0.14 release in real life.
The German magazine c't features it on page 48 of issue 18/2014
The preview available at http://www.heise.de/ct/heft/2014-18-akt ... 84584.html shows the full text of the article. The screen shot didn't make it into the printed version.
vrytar

Post by vrytar »

bejant wrote:I thought about saying that previous CAD experience wouldn't hurt, but from the forum we've seen that previous CAD experience can be either a blessing, curse, or somewhere in between for somebody starting on with FreeCAD - it just depends on the individual.
Well, I would definitely avoid saying something like "previous CAD experience is beneficial". These are weasel words, which don't really say anything and might put people off. A little bit like saying: "In order to study French, some knowledge of Latin is beneficial." True but misleading.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hmm what you all say make sense indeed... It's the same with Blender... Sometimes you see newcomers with zero experience get the grip of it very quickly, while people used to other systems find it hard to understand and complain... And it's also a bit of a political statement, like if we were saying: Yes, we think newcomers CAN use this... I'm convinced now :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I just found a notice about the 0.14 release in real life.
The German magazine c't features it on page 48 of issue 18/2014
Two times there was already a brief article about FreeCAD in c't. On page 117 10/2009 and then sometime in 2005 or 2006 (when a CD/DVD was attached), too.
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

wmayer wrote:Two times there was already a brief article about FreeCAD in c't. On page 117 10/2009 and then sometime in 2005 or 2006 (when a CD/DVD was attached), too.
The also had an article about CAD software earlier this year. But then FreeCAD was only mentioned with like three words.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Nice. Have you clicked on the Google Trends for FreeCAD link? It's pretty impressive!!!

http://www.google.ca/trends/explore#q=freecad
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:Taken from this thread: FreeCAD for a CATIA designer
Hi all,

that forum might, or might not, develop overtime into a good thing, but right now it has about 40 members and only approximately 11 that have ever posted anything. If you you look at the summary page there are only a handful of topics.

When I wanted a free open source CAD application I searched on Google and Wikipedia. they are all easy to find.

I had a quick look at the review above, it was a bit weak and inaccurate ....makes me think some of us regulars and I should write an accurate and detail one....but I suppose that is almost what the wiki is and we hardly keep up with that. :)

Jim