Introducing Jimskapt

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jimskapt

Introducing Jimskapt

Post by Jimskapt »

Hello, I'm an Designer in a small company in South of France, we design special vehicules like Rail&Road excavators, air-dropped bulldozers :twisted: , forestry machines, etc ... This is a very interesting company to build complex CAD :!:

Due to my interests about IT systems and software development, I'm in charge to understand and teach to others how Autodesk Inventor (CAD software) works, and also to introduce and setting an PLM inside the whole company.

I've heard about FreeCAD around a year ago, and I was thinking it was a great idea ! (in reality, i found it because i was studying in order to build an free CAD software 8-) ).
I'm a very idealistic supporter of free-as-freedom and opensource software.
Now, i'm on Archlinux (Ubuntu a couple of years ago, since they disapointed me about their new decisions), i've got raspberry cards (PI B+, PI2 B, PI3 B) and also some Arduino/Genuino devices.
When I was ~14 years old, i've builded and maintained 2 websites for my RC clubs (cars and planes) in (x)HTML4, CSS2 and PHP4. After that, I've done experiments in Java during ~5 years (until recently Java8 and JavaFX great improvements), until i've learn about Node.JS technologies in the middle of last year :o , and now I spent a lot of time in tinker web dev (both front and back-end). Of course i've done tiny experiments in C++ and Python2 a couple of years ago.

Today, i was very impressed by an french FreeCAD presentation about 0.16 writen by @rockn, and thank to this, i've better understood the amazing work already done on FreeCAD :D .

Today, I want to help FreeCAD project by help developping FreeCAD (particularly "Assembly 2" module) and also help to translate doc and others if it needs (on condition that I am at the level :lol: ).
FreeCAD is my first collaborative project i've approach, so I think I need a mentor to introduce me the FreeCAD universe, how to work in the web, make me proposals to help FreeCAD and also keep me involved in the project.

See you soon !
Last edited by Jimskapt on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Introducing Jimskapt

Post by DeepSOIC »

Nice!
Assembly2 is not official part of FreeCAD. It's an add-on workbench developed by Hamish to fill in the lack of official one.
It doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into it - it may even end up becoming official, I think.

Since 0.16 was released, there was a major change in FreeCAD PartDesign and core, mainly targeted at assembly support. Make sure to look at related discussions here, if you want to add support for the cool new Part objects in assembly2!