The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: TechDraw Comments from Feature Announcement

Post by wandererfan »

pablogil wrote:...
add the option to change colors for dimensions, lines, hidden lines, etc.
(into TechDraw preferences or even better as a dimension parameter)
>>> seems reasonable. we already have colours for Hatches, Annotation, Section faces, Spreadsheet text, Hidden Line, CenterLines, CenterMarks, ... either as a property, a preference or an entry in usf.cfg, so we could add some more.

when adding a new view, the "custom scale" field could be a numeric field in order to have the typical arrows to increase/decrease steps... much useful than typing a number
>>> this is in the projection group dialog? seems reasonable.

is it possible that when you press the green square when editing template texts the actual text is selected so that you can easily start typing and delete the default one? is just an usability improvement
>>> yes, it is possible. the dialog box was easier. seems reasonable.

as previously mentioned it would be useful to add more usability to dimension creation, I would suggest:
1) if any line, points, etc are selected, when pressing the dimension icon it creates just one dimension
2) if anything is selected and the dimension icon is pressed the "tool" enters in "continuous mode" so that every time you select a line or points it is created a dimension
>>> 1) & 2) are the same? But a "continuous mode" could be useful. Not sure how to do it off hand, but I'll think about it.

Finally, I found an important bug: in OSX if you select an arc an press the "radius dimension icon" FreeCAD crashes and closes
>>> I don't get this here (ubuntu). Is it in all radii or just in 1 file? If just 1 file, can you share it?

Thanks for the feedback!

wf
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

wandererfan wrote: ...
when adding a new view, the "custom scale" field could be a numeric field in order to have the typical arrows to increase/decrease steps... much useful than typing a number
>>> this is in the projection group dialog? seems reasonable.
Yes
wandererfan wrote: as previously mentioned it would be useful to add more usability to dimension creation, I would suggest:
1) if any line, points, etc are selected, when pressing the dimension icon it creates just one dimension
2) if anything is selected and the dimension icon is pressed the "tool" enters in "continuous mode" so that every time you select a line or points it is created a dimension
>>> 1) & 2) are the same? But a "continuous mode" could be useful. Not sure how to do it off hand, but I'll think about it.
No, they are not the same
1) selects first and then launches command later based on the previous selection while
2) starts command as "continuous mode"... in order to close the command it could be as "drawing dimmensioning" did, a task panel dialog with a "close" button
wandererfan wrote: Finally, I found an important bug: in OSX if you select an arc an press the "radius dimension icon" FreeCAD crashes and closes
>>> I don't get this here (ubuntu). Is it in all radii or just in 1 file? If just 1 file, can you share it?
I have attached the file, anyway I have tried some scenarios and it always crashes on OSX...
Attachments
dimmensions_v02.FCStd
(625.12 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

pablogil wrote:I have attached the file, anyway I have tried some scenarios and it always crashes on OSX...
Confirm crash on Ubuntu also. Will get back to you on fix.
wf
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @wandererfan!

We had long discussion about sketcher continuous mode in the past and after @abdullah implemented it:

http://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=1518

You might be able to look in the code on how it was done and hopefully it will give you some ideas on what would need to change.
user1234
Veteran

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

I saw that the Pull Request Nr.: 279 is merged and i tested it a little bit. It is faster, especially when the first view is created, then it is much faster! I will make a detailed report at weekend. I found out, how some errors are repeatable.

By the way, very great work wandererfan! I really like your work!

Greetings, user1234
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote:I found out, how some errors are repeatable.
Thanks! Repeatable errors are much better than the other kind. :D
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Some questions were raised in http://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewtop ... 6&start=50. I believe that thread is supposed to be locked (moderators?), so I will make my answers here.
efyx wrote:Hello, some time passed, can you update us what is going on with TechDraw, can we expect new features in nearest time? Crossing fingers for this module!
Work is proceeding. Some weeks faster than others. See the Roadmap for plans: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... aw_Roadmap.
microelly2 wrote:Is there already a way to add a image texture to a drawing?
When I have a image texture on a face it's easy to calculate the projection of the pixel image down to a plane to get a transparent png file.
So I need a method to plce this image the right place onto the drawing sheet !? :roll:
No, there is currently no way to do this. I did some work with image textures for hatching early on, and was disappointed in the results - they were very coarse and pixelated. It's on my list of things to look at, but I don't know when I will get to it.

There is a PR in progress for a first round of performance improvements. It should help complex drawings. Not fast enough yet, but better.

wf
efyx

Post by efyx »

wandererfan wrote:Work is proceeding.
Thanks for updating us. Great work, hopefully I'll be able to test soon and comment some things - that's the only help right now which I can offer.
efyx

Post by efyx »

wandererfan wrote:...
Hi, I checked very fast new functionality of TechDraw.
And (see picture):
1) Marked blue - there is no fi symbol.
2) Marked red - the angle on both sides shows the same value. It isn't the same because ones it is acute angle and second time obtuse angle (360deg - value). Can you upgreade that?

FrontBottomLeft is still aligned by parent drawing there is no way to unbind and move it anywhere on a drawing. There should be option for alignement.

Now we can pan the darwing - that's cool. But... for panning I am using also a LMB which makes a mess because when I don't target into filed of drawing I am moving whole sheet. Better for panning sheet is MMB. BTW when I am panning sheet is getting laggy - I don't know why (just mentioning that).
Attachments
techdraw.png
techdraw.png (53.51 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote:1) Marked blue - there is no fi symbol.
2) Marked red - the angle on both sides shows the same value. It isn't the same because ones it is acute angle and second time obtuse angle (360deg - value). Can you upgreade that?
1) is very odd. that code hasn't changed in a while. fix will be in next up date.
2) Angle Dimensions are always computed as inner angle. I'll look into having the value change if the dimension text is on the obtuse side.
efyx wrote:FrontBottomLeft is still aligned by parent drawing there is no way to unbind and move it anywhere on a drawing. There should be option for alignement.
My understanding is that there are rules about how to lay out a Projection Group. You can always make an individual View with the desired parameters. Do you want to explode the group into individual views?
View with same parameters as FBL
View with same parameters as FBL
FBLvsView.png (16.74 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
efyx wrote:Now we can pan the darwing - that's cool. But... for panning I am using also a LMB which makes a mess because when I don't target into filed of drawing I am moving whole sheet. Better for panning sheet is MMB. BTW when I am panning sheet is getting laggy - I don't know why (just mentioning that).
I don't have an MMB, so this one might take a while! :D

Thanks to the testing and comments.

wf