The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by triplus »

Or i guess when deleted delete the whole view/projection group? I see @Jee-Bee was thinking in the same direction. And is only the front view tied to other views? If yes i would suggest not to show pop-up when deleting other views.

P.S. And why is the view/projection group called cView? What does the c stand for? ;)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

triplus wrote:And is only the front view tied to other views?
Front is the only one that causes havoc when deleted.
triplus wrote:P.S. And why is the view/projection group called cView? What does the c stand for? ;)
Honestly? No idea! It's called "cView" in @mrlukeparry's github from 2014. "CombinationView"? I'll give it a meaningful name next time I'm in that program.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Hi @wandererfan,

I have used lately the Techdraw section view and I think it would be a really nice feature that the new section inherits the same scale and projection type as its parent... I always have to change it manually.
Do you think it would improve the user experience?

Thank you
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

pablogil wrote:I have used lately the Techdraw section view and I think it would be a really nice feature that the new section inherits the same scale and projection type as its parent
SectionView inheriting Scale from the BaseView is pretty easy as long as it is just for the initial setting. Keeping the 2 locked together would be harder.

SectionView doesn't have a ProjectionType (terrible name! too many "Types".) and if the BaseView was a regular DrawViewPart, what would you use for ProjectionType? Could generate something to go in Caption or Label - "based on TopFrontLeft of ProjGroup001"??
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

wandererfan wrote:SectionView inheriting Scale from the BaseView is pretty easy as long as it is just for the initial setting. Keeping the 2 locked together would be harder.
Cool, it would just be the initial setting, afterwards users may want to change it so there's no need to lock it.
wandererfan wrote:SectionView doesn't have a ProjectionType (terrible name! too many "Types".) and if the BaseView was a regular DrawViewPart, what would you use for ProjectionType? Could generate something to go in Caption or Label - "based on TopFrontLeft of ProjGroup001"??
Sorry, I called it wrongly, I meant "scale type" which is also related with Scale, so that when creating a new Section View it gets both parameters inherited from the parent view... :oops:

Thanks!
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

pablogil wrote:I meant "scale type" which is also related with Scale, so that when creating a new Section View it gets both parameters inherited from the parent view.
Ah! Now that I can do.
jaisejames

Post by jaisejames »

Detail view dimensions line some portion is not visible as seen the attachment.

Detail View how to show detail circle in the base view?
Attachments
freecad draw.png
freecad draw.png (8.63 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jaisejames wrote:Detail view dimensions line some portion is not visible as seen the attachment.

Detail View how to show detail circle in the base view?
a) haven't come across that one before, thanks for pointing it out. Interesting problem. Dimension applies to something inside the detail, but is positioned itself outside the detail (dimension uses the dimension text as the positioning marker).

b) not done yet. on the list.
efyx

Post by efyx »

First of all everything best in a new year!
2nd thing
wandererfan wrote:b) not done yet. on the list.
when we can expect new stuff like detail, and some more? :mrgreen: No hurrying, just curious ;)

PS. What about hatching will that be generated by FreeCAD or from svg file? If so, I could prepare some hatching styles...
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efyx wrote:when we can expect new stuff like detail, and some more? :mrgreen: No hurrying, just curious ;)

PS. What about hatching will that be generated by FreeCAD or from svg file? If so, I could prepare some hatching styles...
"it's done when it's done"
- JRiegel
:)

Plans for next release:
- high resolution Drawings
---- higher quality DrawViewImage
---- bitmap (png/jpeg) "hatching"
---- scalable hatches
- arrowhead styles
- SVG export page size fix
- DPG & DVS bug fixes

As far as hatching goes, for the near future, we'll be limited to SVG & bitmap. But there is a need for "technical hatching" using specific line-weights and styles to make standards conforming drawings. Maybe something like AutoCad PAT files.

wf